Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Offset

Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires sticking out of the fenders doesn't look badass, it looks mis-matched. As if your jeep is equipped with wheels that belong to another vehicle.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da10A
Tires sticking out of the fenders doesn't look badass, it looks mis-matched. As if your jeep is equipped with wheels that belong to another vehicle.
Have you seen any badass jeeps? Some have flat fenders. Some don't have any fenders. My goal would be to swap my stock rubi fenders for a flat set that gets my tires back in check and keeps the mud (mostly) off the sides.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Again, this is just my personal opinion, but I don't get the big frenzie around the flat fenders.

We all have our own opinion as to what is a badass looking jeep.

Last edited by Da10A; 07-25-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Again, this is just my personal opinion, but I don't get the big frenzie around the flat fenders.

We all have our own opinion as to what is a badass looking jeep.
It's nice to know that there are more folks who see this like me. Of course, I'm more into the expedition look, so reasonable size tires on stock fenders with modest offset fits that image. The only exception I would make for flat fenders is if the owner did that to keep his lift down and have larger tires. But rarely is that actually the case. People spend the money on flat fenders for looks, not performance. About as senseless as chrome.

It's not only how you build your Jeep, it's also what you do with it ...

Old 07-25-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

^^^^^Excellent example of a jeep that I personally think looks badass. I think it has to do with age and wisedom. I use to think that an over lifted and over tired jeep looked badass in my early 20s for sure.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, this is just my personal opinion, but I don't get the big frenzie around the flat fenders. We all have our own opinion as to what is a badass looking jeep.
Part of the frenzie is that it provides more uptravel. I guess some do it for looks, but others do it for functionality. You need less lift for comparable tire size, therefore have a lower center of gravity and more stable offroad performance. Plus, a nice set of steel fenders means you don't have to worry about body damage.

I never really cared how my Jeep looked. I simply cared about how it performs.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Part of the frenzie is that it provides more uptravel. I guess some do it for looks, but others do it for functionality. You need less lift for comparable tire size, therefore have a lower center of gravity and more stable offroad performance. Plus, a nice set of steel fenders means you don't have to worry about body damage. I never really cared how my Jeep looked. I simply cared about how it performs.
I too like flat fenders and for same reason. However a good set of steel fenders catching the right rock will give plenty of body damage. Torn body parts are not good

Sent using smoke signals
Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Part of the frenzie is that it provides more uptravel. I guess some do it for looks, but others do it for functionality. You need less lift for comparable tire size, therefore have a lower center of gravity and more stable offroad performance. Plus, a nice set of steel fenders means you don't have to worry about body damage.

I never really cared how my Jeep looked. I simply cared about how it performs.
I realize that, and agree that when it is done for absolute fonction, it is understandable and logical to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

However, taking a new vehicle and turn it into what looks like a buggy to me is something I do not get at all. Especially on a daily driver and for looks only. To make people believe they actually get used. Lotsa guys on here with almost stock jeeps do 10X more offroad and go beyond places that some overbuilt jeeps don't dare to go.

It's like young teenage girls dressing up provocatively like Britney to go to the mall, when Britney heyself only dresses like that when performing onstage and wouldn't dare show up like that elswhere.

So guys don't realise that those rock buggies get trailered to the trail and the competitors would never drive em down the street like that.

It is a jeep thing, and I do understand, for I have been there and done that in the 90s on 2 YJs and an XJ, and am somewhat judging myself by my comments. Would I do it all over again??? YEP 😉 Cause it was all part of my learning process.

Quick Reply: Wheel Offset