Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel size problems

Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel size problems

Okay, so I have an '09 Rubicon and am getting new tires and wheels soon since my stock BFG's are about done. I am in love with the look of 15" wheels and 35" tires and the cost is also significantly lower with 15" rims compared to 16" and 17", so that is what I plan on getting. The only problem I am having is I cant find any 15" rims to save my life! I would like to know if anyone out there has 15" rims on their JK and if so, what kind are they and where did you get them! Any help would be great!

Also, im really trying to find black rims since im not a huge fan of chrome, but they are definitely not out of my options yet.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quinnciee
Okay, so I have an '09 Rubicon and am getting new tires and wheels soon since my stock BFG's are about done. I am in love with the look of 15" wheels and 35" tires and the cost is also significantly lower with 15" rims compared to 16" and 17", so that is what I plan on getting. The only problem I am having is I cant find any 15" rims to save my life! I would like to know if anyone out there has 15" rims on their JK and if so, what kind are they and where did you get them! Any help would be great! [emoji481]

Also, im really trying to find black rims since im not a huge fan of chrome, but they are definitely not out of my options yet.
Check out http://www.discounttiredirect.com

They are a part of the forum and have a selection.
I also remember them posting a list of wheels that fit the JK.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Q-tec has 15" wheels, may be worth checking out.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by quinnciee
Okay, so I have an '09 Rubicon and am getting new tires and wheels soon since my stock BFG's are about done. I am in love with the look of 15" wheels and 35" tires and the cost is also significantly lower with 15" rims compared to 16" and 17", so that is what I plan on getting. The only problem I am having is I cant find any 15" rims to save my life! I would like to know if anyone out there has 15" rims on their JK and if so, what kind are they and where did you get them! Any help would be great!

Make sure you check with someone who runs the wheels you're looking at on a JK. Alot of 15 in rims will rub on the brake calipers or won't go on at all. Theres a thread on here that has a link to Discount tire that will tell you just which wheels have been proven to fit.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Many 15" rims contact the brake calipers. You will want the lowest backspace you can find to move them out. Also, there are variations in the calipers themselves, so because a specific rim fit on someone elses JK does not mean it will fit on yours without rubbing. (there was a post here a long time ago where one person sold his 15's to another member. The buyer found that 2 of the 4 rims rubbed on his, where none of them rubbed on the sellers...)

And be aware that you limit your tire selection with 15's, as well as not being able to go to any of the upgraded brake kits or upgraded steering components that require larger rims.

This is the thread espi mentioned.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...wheels-120933/

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-30-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

^^^what he said. And plan on replacing your front hub assembly more often. With the back spacing you have to run, you'll smoke those out in a hurry. $100 a side if you can do the labor yourself. Rear bearings are more of a pain since they are pressed on. Those won't last very long either.

This is strictly a personal opinion, but when I see 15s on a JK it looks cheap and akin to using duct tape to fix something. I can't think of the last time I wheeled with someone that ran 15s. They are becoming obsolete (slowly).
Old 10-30-2014, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DiscountTire has a decent selection of compatible 15" wheels that they sell. That's where I got my 15" MB TKO wheels.

Also heres a thread dedicated to 15" wheels on JKs. : https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...thread-7758/#b
Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
^^^what he said. And plan on replacing your front hub assembly more often. With the back spacing you have to run, you'll smoke those out in a hurry. $100 a side if you can do the labor yourself. Rear bearings are more of a pain since they are pressed on. Those won't last very long either
Why is that? Because of how far the wheel sits causing extra stress on the hub or something? Didn't know it was a problem with such aggressive back spacing.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheNoob
Why is that? Because of how far the wheel sits causing extra stress on the hub or something? Didn't know it was a problem with such aggressive back spacing.
You got it. I run 17s, but 3.5" BS. Smoked all my bearings in a few thousand miles. I do run 37s and wheel it hard, but it is hard on the parts. I'd guess it also adds stress to the ball joints too. My $200 Synergy joints lasted about 6 months.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
You got it. I run 17s, but 3.5" BS. Smoked all my bearings in a few thousand miles. I do run 37s and wheel it hard, but it is hard on the parts. I'd guess it also adds stress to the ball joints too. My $200 Synergy joints lasted about 6 months.
Ahhh I see. Well thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply: Wheel size problems