Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers

Old 03-25-2017, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers

So I'm in the market for some wheel spacers. I have a 2017 JKU Sport S. it comes with 32in tires. Would like to put some spacers on them now that I could also use later when I put on some 35s and a lift. I understand they come in different widths. Any recommendations on sizing and brands?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:00 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackie27
So I'm in the market for some wheel spacers. I have a 2017 JKU Sport S. it comes with 32in tires. Would like to put some spacers on them now that I could also use later when I put on some 35s and a lift. I understand they come in different widths. Any recommendations on sizing and brands?

1.5" Spydertrax

Old 03-25-2017, 05:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You would be better off getting new wider with a 4.5" back spaced wheels when you are ready for 35's as the stock wheel is more narrow then most tire manufacturers recommend for the bigger wider tires. Depending on the wheels you choose it may be very little in additional cost.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You would be better off getting new wider with a 4.5" back spaced wheels when you are ready for 35's as the stock wheel is more narrow then most tire manufacturers recommend for the bigger wider tires. Depending on the wheels you choose it may be very little in additional cost.
What exactly do you mean about a 4.5in back spacer? Is that different from wheel spacers? Sorry some of this stuff is new to me!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:21 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
^ this is the better option....

Old 03-25-2017, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

What exactly do you mean about a 4.5in back spacer? Is that different from wheel spacers? Sorry some of this stuff is new to me!
Wheel Backspacing is the measurement from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel. This does a good job of explaining it.

Wheel Offset and Backspace - How Do They Relate? | The Squealing Tire
Old 03-25-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

So would it be safe to say that the back spacing is something included in the rim to where it mounts? Thus giving it a wider wheel base due to the rim without having to mount another piece like a spacer?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So would it be safe to say that the back spacing is something included in the rim to where it mounts? Thus giving it a wider wheel base due to the rim without having to mount another piece like a spacer?
Yup.. less backspacing moves the centerline of the wheel outward.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
Yup.. less backspacing moves the centerline of the wheel outward.
Thanks! Is the consensus that a 4.5in backspacing on wranglers do the job then?
Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks! Is the consensus that a 4.5in backspacing on wranglers do the job then?
Yes, wheels with around 4.5in backspacing or a quality 1.5in wheel spacer if you want to retain the factory wheels. Spidertrax is well known and respected...thats what I went with.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers