Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining grinding sound when going forward.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining grinding sound when going forward.

His morning when I left to go to work I noticed a sound that almost sounded like a wheel bearing failing.metal on metal grinding/ whining sound. Stops at park and neutral positions and also make no sound at all in reverse, just forward. I inspected the brakes and saw nothing abnormal.

I was using the 4 wheel drive the last time I was driving. Honestly it was the first time I used the 4 wheel drive in a year. I reversed it a couple of times thinking maybe it was completely disengaged

It's a 2015 JK unlimited with 4:10 gears and automatic transmission

TIA for any advise

SaharaSal
Old 05-30-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

You said you inspected the brakes? It's not one of the squealers from the pads? Does it go away when you hit the brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-30-2016, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

It doesn't stop when I press the brakes. It's odd only going forward. I think it might have to do with me shifting out 4wheel drive while parked in the driveway. Don't know.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

remove tire, then two bolts holding caliper on, clean just brake pads and not slider with brake cleaner, clean rotors with brake clear. Then put back together and see if still makes noise. It could be a loose caliper bolt, maybe allowing enough movement forward to contact something and not going backwards? my $.01
Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Sadly it wasn't the brakes or a caliper. Anything loose. It makes the noise in gear, neutral, with the brake pedal pushed, or not pushed.

I spoke with the mechanic how did the gears and he thinks it's the spider gears in the new front carrier we bought when going from 3:21 to 4:10. It only has about 200 miles on it since installation.

Should have the word soon.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaSal15
Sadly it wasn't the brakes or a caliper. Anything loose. It makes the noise in gear, neutral, with the brake pedal pushed, or not pushed. I spoke with the mechanic how did the gears and he thinks it's the spider gears in the new front carrier we bought when going from 3:21 to 4:10. It only has about 200 miles on it since installation. Should have the word soon.
seems it would happen in reverse to?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GunDude
seems it would happen in reverse to?
oddly enough it makes the noise only in reverse while in 4x4.

Not sure if mentioned but it started the very first time I used the 4x4 since rehearing it.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Diagnosis was the pinion nut came loose in the front axle. All tighten up and hopefully that it. 😊
Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That pinion nut came loose because it was installed wrong. The pinion nut is generally a one-time use nut unless you use lock-tite.

I would keep a close eye on everything if the half-a$$ed the pinion nut.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. I'd suspect their ability to obtain proper preload if it wasn't on tight enough to "stay tight"...

Quick Reply: Whining grinding sound when going forward.