Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch

Old 01-15-2015, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Pulled a 86 suburban out today... the XRC runs fast, smooth, quiet and has paid for itself in just a couple months. Two of the recovery's I did with it would have cost the owners more than the winch to get them out.

I made a cover using the optional "top mount" brackets for the control box.

The 12000 is completely hidden in the bumper on three sides, control box mounted to the left, and homemade cover over the line. Has helped to keep the snow and ice and mud from building up on the synthetic line. painted the front metal piece with color match paint to the Jeep (steel Blue) happy with the looks, the price, the performance, and the quality so far. Being water proof is a great bonus as well.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
Pulled a 86 suburban out today... the XRC runs fast, smooth, quiet and has paid for itself in just a couple months. Two of the recovery's I did with it would have cost the owners more than the winch to get them out. I made a cover using the optional "top mount" brackets for the control box. The 12000 is completely hidden in the bumper on three sides, control box mounted to the left, and homemade cover over the line. Has helped to keep the snow and ice and mud from building up on the synthetic line. painted the front metal piece with color match paint to the Jeep (steel Blue) happy with the looks, the price, the performance, and the quality so far. Being water proof is a great bonus as well.
I'm interested in a picture of your cover that you made.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2 feet short

I still use a 5000 pound Ramsey mounted in a carrier that fits into a 2" receiver front or back, on thing i found out over the years is the few times I needed a winch it was mounted on the front and i really needed it on the back to pull myself out not farther in, that's why I now have it for a receiver + you only take it when you are off road and that keeps the extra weight off the front end and out of the weather as for the 5000# rating it seems to work just fine although I don't seem to get stuck that bad. It seem like every JK on the road has a winch now, in all the years i have been wheelin I think I have only used a winch a handful of times and half of those times the cable seems to always be 2 feet short of what ever anchor is close......so my first question do you really need a winch?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default pic of homemade cover

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150115_201815_resized.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	593833

So the winch comes with the brackets to mount the control on top of -or to the side of the winch. I used a cutting block material plastic and a set of rubber treads found in the automotive section at wal-mart for 7 bucks to complete the look. The big smittybuilt name plate went away, the xrc came off the top control box and down in front on the color matched metal peice. Things are real muddy in this pic but you get the idea. The control bracket is hook shaped on one side and flat on the other... I bent them so they are very tight... but the cover can be pryed off and snapped back on if I need the drum exposed for any reason. Four bolts go throug hthe plate to the brackets... then I drilled holes for them in the tread so the hide down in the rubber tread. Worked great all winter for keeping most snow/ice off the line, and should keep sunlight off of it as well. Cheap cover... about 10 bucks! I also like the way the winch is hidden down int othis bumper.... very hard to get it out LOL!

Last edited by Sunnysideup; 01-26-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smittybilt X20 12K comp with synthetic. I also don't believe in mounting the winch on the front. I have a receiver cradle and carry it inside when off roading until needed. Works like a charm. Love the synthetic line, safe and easy to use.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 for me. Love everything about it, noise, speed, strength and looks. pulled me out of a muddy embankment (practically a 4' drop) 2 weeks ago. For $500, I think it's the best option out there.

Quick Reply: Winch