Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch Circuit Breaker Install

Old 12-22-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

200 amp seems a bit high. How about someone adding a "how to properly size a fuse/breaker"? Thinking wire size, draw, voltage all come into play. Don't want to blow too early or too late.

Perhaps something like this:

with the proper fuse.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid
200 amp seems a bit high. How about someone adding a "how to properly size a fuse/breaker"? Thinking wire size, draw, voltage all come into play. Don't want to blow too early or too late.
Re-read my first post (post #1) -- It's long, but the inverse time characteristics of the 200 amp breaker are in there along with the winch's rated full load amps and some amp readings during testing.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
I was lucky and found a Warn power interrupt on ebay for like $40.

Attachment 588636
That's a good price. I did the same with my winch.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read so many threads before installing my winch. At first I was going to add a breaker or a fuse. Then I read so many people who simply hot wired theirs and haven't had problems. The smittybilt instructions also don't mention a breaker or a fuse for install, it states to run the wires directly to the battery. I think if I were planning on using my winch a lot, I'd add some extra safety feature. Since mine is mostly to fill in the spot on my bumper, I'll leave it as is...
Old 12-23-2014, 01:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNoob
I read so many threads before installing my winch. At first I was going to add a breaker or a fuse. Then I read so many people who simply hot wired theirs and haven't had problems. The smittybilt instructions also don't mention a breaker or a fuse for install, it states to run the wires directly to the battery. I think if I were planning on using my winch a lot, I'd add some extra safety feature. Since mine is mostly to fill in the spot on my bumper, I'll leave it as is...
You could always add it later if you decide. I hot wired mine and never had a problem. I didn't add the solenoid until recently after I read about some guy's roof being crushed. Apparently someone spooled out his cable, ran it over the roof and hooked it to the rear bumper, and then you know what happened next. I only added the solenoid so the winch would have power with the key in the run position only.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
You could always add it later if you decide. I hot wired mine and never had a problem. I didn't add the solenoid until recently after I read about some guy's roof being crushed. Apparently someone spooled out his cable, ran it over the roof and hooked it to the rear bumper, and then you know what happened next. I only added the solenoid so the winch would have power with the key in the run position only.
Yeah after reading that i want to do the same when i get my winch.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
The thing I really like about the warn is the "Self Healing Circuit breaker" And it trips automatically if I try to run the winch with out the engine running. This would stop someone trying to mess with the winch with out the key.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered this: Cooper Bussmann 187200F-03-1

About $55 shipped. Best price I found.

I will also pick up this pre-made cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

I can't believe I didn't think to do this sooner.

THE ONLY annoying thing I can think of about putting a breaker under the hood, is that if the breaker trips during use, say under heavy load while pulling me out of a really bad, muddy hole, or while hanging by the line on a cliff, that I'd have to get out and go reset the breaker.

From anyone who has a breaker or fuse, have you experienced service interruption?
Old 01-22-2016, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
I just ordered this: Cooper Bussmann 187200F-03-1

About $55 shipped. Best price I found.

I will also pick up this pre-made cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

I can't believe I didn't think to do this sooner.

THE ONLY annoying thing I can think of about putting a breaker under the hood, is that if the breaker trips during use, say under heavy load while pulling me out of a really bad, muddy hole, or while hanging by the line on a cliff, that I'd have to get out and go reset the breaker.

From anyone who has a breaker or fuse, have you experienced service interruption?
I hear you, there is always the risk/reward compromise ratio in design. The way I look at it is that in the heavy load while pulling me out of a really bad, muddy hole scenario -- The worst case is I'm getting muddy to reset the breaker and it takes longer, but it also might save me from burning up the winch motor and being stuck a lot longer. [winch motors are intermittent duty and need off-time to cool down, and how much depends on the amperage draw]

In the hanging off the cliff scenario, I've never been there and don't want to go. But if faced with a situation where the breaker tripping was an unacceptable risk, I'd simply take a wrench and move the wire for a direct connection beforehand (which would take me about 5 minutes).

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-22-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So am I correct to infer that you have never had the breaker trip on you while in use?

Quick Reply: Winch Circuit Breaker Install