Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring a Harley Garage Door Opener into 2014 JK Write-up

Old 01-03-2015, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wiring a Harley Garage Door Opener into 2014 JK Write-up

I removed a Harley Davidson garage door transmitter from a bike I'm planning to sell. After seeing it sitting on my workbench for a few days, I decided I would install it in my JK. Harley Davidson garage door openers consist of a receiver mounted inside your garage and wired to your garage pushbutton. Then a transmitter is installed on your bike and is activated by turning your high beam on then off quickly. You can buy additional transmitters for each bike (or JK for that matter) and all will use the same receiver. The transmitter has four wires which I labelled while removing it: high beam, low beam, +12V switched, and ground. Seemed like a pretty easy install.

The first thing I did was bench test the transmitter using a 12V transformer. What I discovered was that when the high beam is hit on a Harley the low beam cuts out. On my JK the low beam stays on with the high beam. So much for a four wire install. So I figured the best way to accomplish the low/high/low quick switch on my JK would be to use a Single-Pole Double-Throw (SPDT) relay. I tested this on the bench and it worked. My first iteration was to use a momentary switch to activate the sequence, but I really wasn't too keen on mounting it on my dash. Further thought made me want to use the flash-to-pass circuit on the JK. I tested it on the JK and it worked. So on to the install.

First the schematic:

Pic 1: Putting the low beam on pin 87a and the high beam on pin 87 allows a rapid transition of the two circuits. All I would need to do is send a quick pulse to pin 85. I used a switched power source so it could only be activated with the key in the run position. Hey it's a soft top.

Pic 2: This is what I was working with, a transmitter and a SPDT relay. I will mount them side-by-side near the battery making for less wiring.

Pic 3: Since I needed a ground and 12V switched for both the transmitter and the relay, I combined the two into one female spade connector for both ground and 12V.

Pic 4: This is how it looked when connected to the relay. I left about 6' of both power and ground so I would have plenty of wire to work with. The only open pin at this point was pin 85, the 12V trigger for the control circuit, which will be wired into the passenger side high beam wire and activated by the flash-to-pass switch.

Pic 5: I pulled the grill and passenger head light and used a quick tap on the white/gray wire. I believe the driver side high beam wire is white/light green if you're so inclined. This picture was actually taken while testing so the quick tap is not closed or taped up yet.

Post 3, pic 1: For the 12V switched power, I used an add-a-circuit (tap-a-fuse) in an empty location in the TIPM following ronjenx's excellent write-up here. To find one, I tested the open slots with my multimeter to see which didn't have power. I then moved the key to the run position and tested them again, letting me know which were switched. I chose that particular slot because the add-a-circuit with the upper fuse in it fit nicely. I then drilled small holes just big enough to run the wire through to get outside the box. Finally, I added a dab of silicone to seal it up tight as Ron suggests.

Post 3, pic 2: This is how it looked after the TIPM lid was closed.

Post 3, pic 3: Next up, I ran the ground wire to the battery negative post...

Post 3, pic 4: slapped some 3M automotive double-backed tape on the transmitter...

Post 3, pic 5: mounted it beside the battery and used a self-tapping screw to mount the relay next to it. I mounted it up high to get better range on the transmitter with less interference.

Then I did a test run, re-installed the head light, and re-installed the grill. It activated just fine while I was backed into my driveway. No more clickers.

The install overall was quite easy, especially if you have any experience with wiring. Overall I would allow 3 to 4 hours for install. I know this is a very specific application and probably won't be done by anyone else. However, it's good to know that you can.

If the pics aren't showing up for you the rest are in post 3.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HD transmitter wiring.jpg
Views:	3638
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	590327   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD Transmitter 01 (Medium).jpg
Views:	4109
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	590333   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD Transmitter 02 (Medium).jpg
Views:	6163
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	590334   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD Transmitter 03 (Medium).jpg
Views:	6331
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	590335   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD Transmitter 04 (Medium).jpg
Views:	23513
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	590336  

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-20-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like none of your pics are working.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spicoli
Looks like none of your pics are working.
They're showing up on my screen. Ugh. Thanks spicolli I'll attach them as well.

Name:	HD Transmitter 06 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2877
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	590340   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD Transmitter 07 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	590341   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD Transmitter 08 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	590342   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD Transmitter 09 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2920
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	590343   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD Transmitter 05 (Medium).jpg
Views:	4406
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	590380  

Last edited by 14Sport; 01-03-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:53 PM
JK Junkie

This is how it looks on my end. WTF?!

I'm thinking if I don't leave them attached as well they get deleted.

Name:	Garage door opener.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	590344  

Last edited by 14Sport; 01-03-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet I like it.......

Quick Reply: Wiring a Harley Garage Door Opener into 2014 JK Write-up