Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrangler mtr issues help

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler mtr issues help

I'm running a 37/12.50/17 mtr on my 2011 jk I bought the jeep with 7500 mi.es on it with these tires on it and I'm at 16k now I run ark mid arm 5.5 lift and hutchinson rock monster wheels I've changed all the control arm bushings track bars had it realigned and all but the little wobble won't go away really leaning toward my tires being the issue anyone wi input please
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

This is a very common problem with the mtr's, but not everyone has issues. I personally know a few myself that never did get them to balance out. You might try having them road force balanced, or even beads and see if it helps. I personally think some of the issue lies in the assymetrical tread design.

If it doesn't get better you could sell them, cut your losses, and go with a tire that balances well. My trail grapplers take almost no weight to balance, and run smooth at every speed..
Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

I'm on my 6th set of MTRs with no issues whatsoever. They balance fine, work better than any other tire we've tried, and aren't noisy and rough like KM2s. My current set are 40"s, and couldn't be happier.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

roadForce is the only way to go for the balancing. If done properly you should see them run the tire on the machine mark the tire and then the wheel. Then break the bead and spin the tire on the wheel to line up marks then back to the RoadForce for the final balance. Also make sure they know to put the weights where the computer wants and not just hidden. I've had some shops default to only put weights in the back even if the machine tells them to put them in front.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:07 AM
JK Freak

Check your ball joints, drag link, and tierod. Chances are one of those are shot. Factory joints are crap. All mine were bad and after I replaced the ball joints it should be perfect. I have 35" MTR's on 15's.

Sent using my SuperSmartThinky Phone
Old 07-04-2013, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

All the issues as far as suspension have been checked and changed and as time went and parts changed it slowly got better my only issue is I need another set of tires soon but wondering if its worth trying them again or looking at another tire I ran a hankook dyna pro mt and really liked it but was hard to get in a 37
Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

Have you tried having them re-balanced? It should be rather cheap. Balance can change as they wear.

Sent using my SuperSmartThinky Phone
Old 07-04-2013, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

I had the 1st run of MTR's back in 09 and had wobble and death wobble issues for 2 years after spending $$$ on parts, align,nets, rebalancing etc..... It went away but, had a bad taste in my mouth. I have 37 Toyos and they run perfect.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKRVEE
I'm on my 6th set of MTRs with no issues whatsoever. They balance fine, work better than any other tire we've tried, and aren't noisy and rough like KM2s. My current set are 40"s, and couldn't be happier.
My. KM2s ride like pillows and are quiet as a church mouse. NEXT!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 35" MT/Rs. I need to rotate out the fronts quite frequently as they develop the weird harmonic that you describe. Also I have found running a lower tire pressure may help (I am at 30psi on mine).

They also wear poorly... This will be my last set of MT/Rs. FWIW the old style didn't seem to have any of these issues.

Quick Reply: Wrangler mtr issues help