Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrangler mtr issues help

Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k.baker B.D.O.R
Ive re balanced and changed everything up front it's just mild
Have you looked into your unit bearings? A failing unit bearing would cause random irrengular vibrations.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Ive re balanced and changed everything up front it's just mild
Probably the tires. You could always sell them and go with a different tire.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run the 35X12.50 MTR with Kevlar and love them on the 17" American Outlaw Buckshot wheels. Have had no balancing issues other than a very slight vibration above 85mph and being these are aggressive off-road tires that was expected I was just wondering if it would vibrate so I ran them up to the limiter to see and it was so minor that no one else in the JEEP felt it. Tires are like lifts everyone likes the one(s) they are running I proclaimed my 33" Duratracs were the best tire ever until I got these MTR'S so it is subjective and budget constrained...used to HATE Goodyear tires when I was running performance tires back in the 90's so i ran BFG but love them on my off-road rigs and hate BFG...weird!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just found a possible problem today have a front wheel bearing going so ill see after that is changed
Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well the problem isn't solved still has shake
Old 07-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Well the problem isn't solved still has shake
Go with a set of Toyo MT's or Nitto trail grapplers. Problem solved.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't already, try rotating tires. That will let you know if its a tire issue or not. Mine develop weird wear patterns on the front after about 5-6k
Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rotation made it worse so I rotated back Ryan would the weight of a toyo cause more chance for breaking an axle housing I have a d44 trusses on cs and the long side and rcv shafts and also would they slow it down allot trying to turn them
Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It took me two five wheel rotations to get rid of the wobble. I had it between 48 and 52 MPH. I got out of that range quickly when I did have the wobble. Even road force balancing didn't help me. But everything is fine now after the rotations.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
This is a very common problem with the mtr's, but not everyone has issues. I personally know a few myself that never did get them to balance out. You might try having them road force balanced, or even beads and see if it helps. I personally think some of the issue lies in the assymetrical tread design.

If it doesn't get better you could sell them, cut your losses, and go with a tire that balances well. My trail grapplers take almost no weight to balance, and run smooth at every speed..
Ditto for me^^^

I eventually looked out of the jeep while driving doorless and could see two were terribly egg shaped and had to have a service writer go for a ride with me and look out the passenger side to see the other one. She was shocked and got me two new tires. But these tires sometimes have balance issues- and that's coming from the Discount Tire shop who gets all the work from the local 4x4 shops. They also saw frequent internal separation where the Kevlar joined the rubber IIRC.

I ended up selling them with my old LJ. The 38x12.5x15 Super Swamper TSL SX's with staun internal beadlocks, and 1/4" rock rings ran nicer than those MTR POS!!! But that's just my opinion and experience with fighting MTR's for far too long. Maybe things have been refined with them now because many people had trouble with them early on?!

Also try swapping wheels & tires with someone who has some fairly new and smooth running tires. I had to do that a time or two to narrow down the variables.

Last edited by COStrider; 07-15-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Wrangler mtr issues help