Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrangler mtr issues help

Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

Go with a set of Toyo MT's or Nitto trail grapplers. Problem solved.
X2!! I had same problems until going to TOYO's. The MTR'S were fine OffRoad but going around a curve hitting an expansion joint was stressful. No more worries: problem free since.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

I have a new JK 2014 and when I put the MTR's on I now have a vibration at speeds above 60. It sounds like you are running over the rumble strip, the vibration happens and goes away, over and over.

In reading old posts, it seems to be either the balancing or that you need more toe in. that was for the old version of the Goodyear MTR's so I'm wondering if this will help with the new ones.

In my case, I have the 315/70/70's on the stock rubicon rims, could that be a problem?

I do notice a lot of weights, I read you have to go where they balance large tires.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them now in a 35 and no problems.
I had them in 37's on my Dodge diesel and about half way worn they were wobbling no matter how many balancings ,alignments or adjustments. They also took a crap ton of weights.
Are your wheels hubcentric?

Tried a road force balance?

Front end wobbles are so
difficult to diagnos...especially if it may be tire rated.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

My rims are stock, so I'm not sure if they are hubcentric, plus I'm using spacers but keep in my that I had spacers with stock tires without issue. As soon as I put on the 35 MTR's the issue started, same as what is explained here.

Can I even run hubcentric with spacers?

I will have to see how they balanced the tires. They did say it was hard for them to balance them.

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
I have them now in a 35 and no problems.
I had them in 37's on my Dodge diesel and about half way worn they were wobbling no matter how many balancings ,alignments or adjustments. They also took a crap ton of weights.
Are your wheels hubcentric?

Tried a road force balance?m

Front end wobbles are so
difficult to diagnos...especially if it may be tire rated.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 PM
JK Junkie

Guys with balancing issues- spin the tire 180* on the wheel to see what that does for you and your weight placement. Sometimes it can align a low and high spot and eliminate a chunk of weights.

Originally Posted by ncalenda
My rims are stock, so I'm not sure if they are hubcentric, plus I'm using spacers but keep in my that I had spacers with stock tires without issue. As soon as I put on the 35 MTR's the issue started, same as what is explained here.

Can I even run hubcentric with spacers?

I will have to see how they balanced the tires. They did say it was hard for them to balance them.
You've got problems diagnosing what's up with your tires but you think it's spacers. Borrow a set of stock tires and see if the issue is gone. If it is then you've determined it is the tires. If the issue is persistent then go down Planman's "dw diagnosis", it covers the whole front end and is not hard to track down issues.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls
Guys with balancing issues- spin the tire 180* on the wheel to see what that does for you and your weight placement. Sometimes it can align a low and high spot and eliminate a chunk of weights.

You've got problems diagnosing what's up with your tires but you think it's spacers. Borrow a set of stock tires and see if the issue is gone. If it is then you've determined it is the tires. If the issue is persistent then go down Planman's "dw diagnosis", it covers the whole front end and is not hard to track down issues.
I have stock tires and it was fine, and had the spacers on with stock tires with no problems. I know the problem started after the MTRs, that is clear. What I'm wonder is should I have them re-balanced as a first try? Has anyone had success with it? I'm considering trying beads vs weights to see if that helps.

Could it be too much chamber? I have 7.5 wide rims, the tires call for 8.5. Could the fact that the tire is more round cause this?

As far as DW, never had issues. In fact, when I hit a bump going 80 it is more stable now then with the stock setup, I have the 2.5 MC Game Changer lift. Drives like new still, very tight and doesn't shake over bumps.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ncalenda

I have stock tires and it was fine, and had the spacers on with stock tires with no problems. I know the problem started after the MTRs, that is clear. What I'm wonder is should I have them re-balanced as a first try? Has anyone had success with it? I'm considering trying beads vs weights to see if that helps.

Could it be too much chamber? I have 7.5 wide rims, the tires call for 8.5. Could the fact that the tire is more round cause this?

As far as DW, never had issues. In fact, when I hit a bump going 80 it is more stable now then with the stock setup, I have the 2.5 MC Game Changer lift. Drives like new still, very tight and doesn't shake over bumps.
If you mean camber...that's not adjustable on these Jeeps.
As mentioned above, sometimes rotating the tire 180* and remount helps.
Rim width is fine.

Wobbles are so hard to figure out.

Clearly it's the tires...maybe try a roadforce balance first.

My 37's never stopped wobbling no matter what I tried. I feel those particular tires are problematic

Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 37" MTRs and have had balancing issues as well. I've found that the MTRs have a wide range of lateral or radial imbalance. Often close to 180 degrees apart. So what you will find post balance is a considerable amount of weight on the inside and the outside weights will be on the opposite side of the tire. When I say considerable my average weight requirement was ~7oz per side (~14-15oz total).

I tried beads and they will not help with a lateral imbalance so don't waste your money. They will only help with traditional bias imbalance.

The key to correcting lateral or radial imbalance it to get the weight as far out on the rim as possible.

In the end I still have a little wobble, but if you expect a 37 to run as smooth as a car tire you will be disappointed. This said, I have had other brands be balanced better out of the box.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jnabird333
I have the 37" MTRs and have had balancing issues as well. I've found that the MTRs have a wide range of lateral or radial imbalance. Often close to 180 degrees apart. So what you will find post balance is a considerable amount of weight on the inside and the outside weights will be on the opposite side of the tire. When I say considerable my average weight requirement was ~7oz per side (~14-15oz total).

I tried beads and they will not help with a lateral imbalance so don't waste your money. They will only help with traditional bias imbalance.

The key to correcting lateral or radial imbalance it to get the weight as far out on the rim as possible.

In the end I still have a little wobble, but if you expect a 37 to run as smooth as a car tire you will be disappointed. This said, I have had other brands be balanced better out of the box.
Excellent points...

Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
My 37's never stopped wobbling no matter what I tried. I feel those particular tires are problematic
I agree... especially in the 37+ sizes. They do perform VERY well on the trail though and since my rig isn't a DD I don't mind the slight shimmy.

Quick Reply: Wrangler mtr issues help