Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTOR Hydro Install Help

Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
I recently had the WTO hydro assist installed, running the 1 1/2" x 6" Ram. Like the setup a lot ,curious what brand power steering fluid you guys are using in your setups ?
Whatever generic brand auto parts store steering fluid was available when I went in. It really shouldn't take anything special, the only argument I could see for high-end would be it'd hold up to heat better but in that case you should just cool the system better.

Stock they use transmission fluid (I'm guessing because it's cheaper for them to have one less unique fluid in the factory, and it really doesn't matter what you put in, in fact pretty sure you could functionally use water if you wanted to but it'd cause corrosion). I've read that transmission fluid might cause the ram gaskets to go bad sooner but it was just a forum discussion so who knows, I have serious doubts that of all things a ram gasket is going to bad because of transmission fluid.

As for length, my WTOR JK kit came with a 7"x1.5 ram, which would explain why I had to add about a 1/2" shim to get the right length but you're a little short with a 6" length. The "correct" length for a JK to give max steering range while keeping off the steering stops is 6.75", this is what PSC ships.

Last edited by christensent; 01-10-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
I recently had the WTO hydro assist installed, running the 1 1/2" x 6" Ram. Like the setup a lot ,curious what brand power steering fluid you guys are using in your setups ?
I asked the owner (Mark) this and he stated Royal Purple, Amsoil, and AcDelco power steering fluid in that order.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the recommended Chrysler steering fluid.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoBig
I run the recommended Chrysler steering fluid.
This. Remember you are using the stock pump so run the fluid designed for that pump. Psc recommends power steering fluid (swepco I believe) because they use THEIR pump in their kit. WTO does not use a highflow pump because they use the smaller 1.5" ram where psc uses a 1.75" ram that requires their pump. You can also use an off the shelf atf+4 synthetic fluid
Old 01-11-2017, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jedg
I asked the owner (Mark) this and he stated Royal Purple, Amsoil, and AcDelco power steering fluid in that order.
thanks for the info, I know on their website they say to use a good synthetic power steering fluid . I'm currently using Valvoline syntec power steering fluid weird thing is I can't seem to find at any part stores now. Oh well maybe need to change to another brand......
Old 01-12-2017, 03:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

West Texas recommends Lucas and it's on the shelf at AutoZone in the nearest town, so that is what I am using. It's inexpensive and easy to get. Besides, there isn't a lot of magic to hydraulic fluid. I sure wouldn't over think it.... no matter who the pump came from.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I hear ya. I've been running this system for 2 1/2 years without failure using autozone atf+4 and my pump is strong. Just saying what works for me

Quick Reply: WTOR Hydro Install Help