Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xprite Grill Causes Engine to Run Hot

Old 05-17-2016, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Xprite Grill Causes Engine to Run Hot

FYI, a friend of mine installed an Xprite Angry Birds grill with mesh insert on his Jeep and noted that his engine fan was running a lot more. So he used Torque Pro to monitor the engine temps, both with the Xprite grill and with the OEM grill. The engine runs about 20-30° hotter with the Xprite grill with inserts. He said he also noted a much reduced level of wind noise--apparently caused by the mesh inserts disrupting the flow of air through the radiator. Here's the product he bought ...

http://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Grille-...V26449Y57NN0Y8
Old 05-17-2016, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up some plastic inserts from Amazon and noticed that my engine temperature increased a bit afterwards too. It use to max out at 220 degrees, never seen it higher even when wheeling in AZ summers, now it reading as high as 232 sometimes when on the highway. Doesn't stay up there for very long but I'm concerned for when summer come. Xprites inserts seem identical to these ones so just a heads up about those too

http://www.amazon.com/Sunroadway®-Gr...rch_detailpage

Last edited by Croce; 05-17-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the rugged ridge expanded steel one-piece insert. While the finish doesn't hold up to the winters here (rusted after 3 years) it gives great protection but also much greater airflow than I've seen on any other insert. The angry bird grill does have much smaller slots so i'm not surprised with that either.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	250645-lg.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	647489Click image for larger version

Name:	WEB_NEW_JP_FMJ_PRDCTIMAGE.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	647490

Air flow? What is that?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
I have the rugged ridge expanded steel one-piece insert. While the finish doesn't hold up to the winters here (rusted after 3 years) it gives great protection but also much greater airflow than I've seen on any other insert. The angry bird grill does have much smaller slots so i'm not surprised with that either.

Yeah got the Amazon sunlu** inserts and yes it does cause it to run hotter! Just had to go through a top engine rebuild (heads,cams,valves,rockers...ect) Due to an over heating issue. Not saying these were the cause but never had any issues until after these installed. 14k on a 2014 should not need a top engine rebuild...just saying
Old 07-20-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone who's anyone knows AngryBirds is passé and PokemonGo is where it's at. Jigglpuff is in QC stage as we speak. / sarcasm.

It's common sense that restricting airflow will increase temps. All these Angry-mono-brow designs reduce airflow by at least 20% if not more. Sure at speed, small openings can ram air by venturi but key word is speed. At 5mph that radiator wants as much surface area open to exchange heat. The fan can't pull air over the top half of radiator because the top half is covered.

Quick Reply: Xprite Grill Causes Engine to Run Hot