Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on 16" or 17" wheels?

Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
no regrets here , but it depends on what your looking for i went 285/70 /16 nitto
10 ply e rated and love em . Will agree thers more size selection on 17" if you like them. Discount tire direct is Great vendor no matter what you choose . Id go through DTD again next time i need tires, a bit of cool look that you get from a 15 or 16 " wheel vs 17 cant say its huge diff. but its noticeable to my eye , but most would prob go with 17 for more aval. choices
I think it's very noticeable. And looks awesome. I don't dislike the 17/18 look. But you def don't get any sidewall badassery with bigger wheels. I love my setup.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Mopar big break kit on my JK (AWESOME KIT BTW). The issue I ran into with that kit and the 17" stock wheels is that the wheel weights ended up rubbing. I had to take it to two different shops to have them try and find the thinnest weights they could with strategic placement to clear. It is very tight in there after that kit. The reason I had to take it to two shops is because the first shop, i wont mention names but it rhymed with Tiscount Dire, completely refused to help me but another fixed it for me. I just bought new 18" Black Rhino Armory wheels and I'm trying to make decisions on tires now. Just my two cents, I'd go with 18" just to avoid any issues at all if you ever want to upgraded brakes.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too downsized to a 16" steel wheel and haven't had any regrets until now. I want to upgrade my Tie rod and drag link with a beefy aftermarket one but have found that the options are limited bc of the clearance inside the 16" wheel... Also most upgrade brakes require at least 17" wheels. This is the lesson that I've learned,don't just upgrade for now also think of future upgrades
Old 02-21-2017, 05:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
no regrets here , but it depends on what your looking for i went 285/70 /16 nitto
10 ply e rated and love em . Will agree thers more size selection on 17" if you like them. Discount tire direct is Great vendor no matter what you choose . Id go through DTD again next time i need tires, a bit of cool look that you get from a 15 or 16 " wheel vs 17 cant say its huge diff. but its noticeable to my eye , but most would prob go with 17 for more aval. choices
Thank you for the shout out and giving us the opportunity to serve you! We look forward to helping you again in the future!

Originally Posted by jbyers4488
I have the Mopar big break kit on my JK (AWESOME KIT BTW). The issue I ran into with that kit and the 17" stock wheels is that the wheel weights ended up rubbing. I had to take it to two different shops to have them try and find the thinnest weights they could with strategic placement to clear. It is very tight in there after that kit. The reason I had to take it to two shops is because the first shop, i wont mention names but it rhymed with Tiscount Dire, completely refused to help me but another fixed it for me. I just bought new 18" Black Rhino Armory wheels and I'm trying to make decisions on tires now. Just my two cents, I'd go with 18" just to avoid any issues at all if you ever want to upgraded brakes.
We are in the people business and do our best to go above above and beyond whenever possible. I'm not sure of the specifics surrounding your visit, but I'd venture to say the store was concerned with proper balance due to arranging wheel weights in a unorthodox manner. We apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding the wheel weights and your big brake kit. We could have done a much better job communicating as to why, which seems to have not happened. I'm glad to hear it worked out for you in the end.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 02-21-2017 at 05:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on 16" or 17" wheels?