Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Gears/Maine trip with a 2014 Sport S

Old 03-23-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears/Maine trip with a 2014 Sport S

Hello,

My wife and I just picked up a red 2014 two door JK sport s with a 6 speed manual, black 3 pc hard top and 3:21 gears. This jeep is my Wife's daily driver because she only drives 6 miles round trip a day. I drive 120 miles a day round trip, so the JK is my weekend toy.

We are really enjoying the jeep so far and are planning a trip to York, Maine in June for our 25th anniversary celebration. It would be great if anyone knew of any good roads/trails for us to travel while we are out there. We are also taking our Mountain bikes with us and if there are any good mild MTB trails for us to ride without being bear bait! :-)

The only thing I don't like about the Jeep is the 3:21 gears. I plan on running 33" tires on black cragar soft 8 wheels after we get back from our trip. From what I've read on here, I shouldn't need a lift with 4" of back spacing??? However, I think I will need to change the gears to 4:10's or 4:56's first. I called and got a price for the gear change...$2,300!!! Is that a good price?

I pull a small trailer with the jeep and may eventually get a snow plow for it. What gears should I put in my wife's DD and my weekend toy? 4.10 or 4:56?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know of any trails in York but further north and western Maine has a bunch, there's also a few off road parks, none that far south though.... There's a jeep event in June (7th) in Lewiston if you happen to be here then!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Erica13JK
I don't know of any trails in York but further north and western Maine has a bunch, there's also a few off road parks, none that far south though.... There's a jeep event in June (7th) in Lewiston if you happen to be here then!
Thank you for the info. We check into our hotel until 7/9.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save yourself $2300...you have a manual, this makes it less painful. It isn't a race car, in my opinion, you will be fine. Put that cash towards a trektop.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by davefisher
Save yourself $2300...you have a manual, this makes it less painful. It isn't a race car, in my opinion, you will be fine. Put that cash towards a trektop.
I like the freedom top...I think. Do to winter hanging around so long, I have not had many chances to take it off. I've had soft tops before and like the convenience of being able to take them down. However, I don't really like the noise when they are up. I think the freedom top will be a nice balance.
Don't think I will get a soft top any time soon.

The gearing is awful at best right now. When I go to 32" tires to 35" tires it is going to be pitiful!!!
I'm not trying to build a race jeep. I want something that is fun to drive on and off road. I also need to pull a single axle trailer and may get a snow plow if we have another winter like the one we just had.

I'm leaning towards 4:56 gears first.
Then a 2-1/2" lift. Followed by 35" tires on soft 8 wheels. I also want a stubby steel bumper for the front and back.

I may be wrong by gearing first, but this thing is such a dog!!!!

Quick Reply: Gears/Maine trip with a 2014 Sport S