Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Getting back in the mud!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back in the mud!

Hey all,

Currently in a 2012 VW GTi, but hopefully not too many of you will hold that against me!

So I'm likely to be picking up a new '14 2dr Rubicon in the very near future, unless I decide to hold off a bit longer and wait for the '15 to hit the market. Any suggestions on whether or not to wait? Any major updates coming that might make the wait worthwhile?

I've been out of the Jeep game for quite a few years ( last one was an '81 CJ7 with a full fibreglass conversion I had in the mid-90's ), but I've never really given up on the brand, always thinking about picking up another. Those damn square headlights killed it for me for a while I guess and then in 2011 I thought seriously about getting back in, but decided to wait it out for the Pentastar, so ended up with the GTI instead..

I'm mostly here for information for now, so I probably won't be posting much, but I'm hoping you guys n gals can maybe point me in the direction of some good threads to get me started. What are the best "first mods" when it comes to the Rubi's? Can I call them Rubi's? What kind of power can be pulled out of these 3.6's without digging toooo deep into the wallet? Any other threads you think I might get some good use out of would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Adam.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

the 14 and 15 are the same model, different year basically. all the important stuff is cloned in the rubicons from what i saw, gear ratios engine all of it. it wont really pay to look for a 14 hopeing for a price break on the model year because its unlikely youll find one, since every one made sells, but depending on your area you might luck out, and if there arent any go ahead and get 15, they didnt change them, 16 likely wont change either, in 17 theyre talking crazy about stuff like IFS and unibody, which will ruin the vehicle if they do it (the unibody = ruin, ifs = expensive and unneccesary)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info man, we actually have a dealership here that has the last two 2014 Rubi's available within a 14hr drive. Both are anvil grey, 6spd, but both are overloaded with options I have absolutely no interest in, and that's jacking the price up unnecessarily. So it looks like I'll be ordering a '15 next month kitted out the way I want it.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Found this online last week. After a few telephone negotiations, a stack of emails, and a few trips to the bank, deal was closed on my new-to-me 2013 2dr Jeep Rubicon. 10th anniversary edition, 45,000km, Anvil grey, tow pckg, comm pckg, etc. Waiting for it to get shipped out to me by truck, hopefully be here by end of the week or early next. Waiting VERY impatiently.

Any suggestions on first mods? Previous owner already made a few additions, not sure if they'll stay or go, but it's nice to have the choice I guess.

Quick Reply: Getting back in the mud!