Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Help!! Got the Death Wobble

Old 01-15-2017, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Got the Death Wobble

1st jeep I have ever owned it's a 2015 JK 2 door Sport with a 4 inch Pro Comp lift 35s,only had it about 2 weeks an done spent nearly $300 on new adjuble trac bar an steering stabilizer now its drivable but still happens from time to time an the dealer ship looked at it an said nothing is wrong with it so I'm on my own with it now had it realigned balanced tires I noticed the drag link moves a bit reason I took it to the dealer hoping they might warranty it but they said it's supposed to move like that now I'm trying to figure do I need to do a drag flip kit or drop pitment arm getting frustrated with it ain't got a lot of money to drop in it since I just got it pretty much cleaned me out my help will be appreciated I'm in north Georgia area
Old 01-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

This thread will help you a bunch:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/

For what it's worth, the steering stabilizer just masks problems. Take a thorough read of the above thread. If you have questions, ask away!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
This thread will help you a bunch: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/ For what it's worth, the steering stabilizer just masks problems. Take a thorough read of the above thread. If you have questions, ask away!
Link is dead and I'm beginning the research.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by EclecticJKU
Link is dead and I'm beginning the research.
Link worked for me, and is indeed the best place to start. If you are REALLY experiencing DW, you are probably going to find a couple worn joints, a loose bolt, or a combination of those. As mentioned, a steering stabilizer is not the remedy. There is a gremlin in the system causing an issue, and it needs to be found. I'd also suspect you might be running fairly low caster unless you've addressed that somehow. It's not causing the issue, but isn't helping it either.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Probably an iOS issue as I'm attempting to view from an iPhone. From what I've read/watched thus far, more times than not a passenger side joint/s are the culprit. I appreciate the reply. After a good hosing down, an inspection of the pitman arm down shall be done.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I like to start by just double checking the torque on the TB. Those bolts are a common source of issues if not properly torqued. I would note, if you've had a serious case of DW, it might even be worth pulling that off to inspect the frame-side bracket to make sure the hole hasn't wallowed out any. Since the TB is new I'd presume you're not having an issue in those joints, but look for side to side play as someone is turning the wheel back and forth. Inspect the DL at the knuckle for any up/down movement as someone is turning the wheel. Same with the TR. Obviously those have a some misalignment in them, but they should not be moving up/down. Next, check those ball joints but jacking the jeep up few inches off the ground. I like to put the axle on jack stands for stability. Grab shovel or something else to use as leverage, stick it under the tire, and force the tire upwards. Although the lower BJ is carrying the load, it's easiest to spot movement at the upper by looking at the where the knuckle and the C meet.

Keep in mind that dealers are about worthless when it comes to diagnosing this stuff. I'm sorry that you're in the situation, but this is actually going to be a great learning experience for you and get you familiar with your steering system.

While you're down there by the axle, take a look at the lower control arm mounts and verify nobody has installed cam bolts on that thing. I'm also guessing that you have no adjustable control arms nor control arm drop brackets as mentioned in my previous post. If not, you're likely running with lower than ideal caster which isn't helping the situation. Once you get your DW figured out, you might want to look at some drop brackets at the very least (~$100) to get the caster back in spec. You'll see a decent improvement in your ride.

Take a moment and fill out your profile so everyone can see what equipment you have. It will really help those trying to give advice as we won't have to guess what you do or do not have. If you're not sure what you have, ask questions. Especially if you didn't install the lift yourself, figuring out what you have is half the battle, but the knowledge will go a long ways.

You'll see comments over and over that a steering stabilizer just masks the problem, it doesn't fix it. Keep in mind that if your jeep is set up properly, you should be able to drive without a SS and not notice it's absence. I'm not saying it's not important, or that you should go without, but it's not what should be holding your stuff together.

Last edited by resharp001; 01-18-2017 at 05:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Help!! Got the Death Wobble