Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Hi Guys! New Wrangler owner.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Guys! New Wrangler owner.

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I just recently purchased a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X and am currently loving it! I don't think I will ever go back to any other kind of vehicle again. That being said, I have a couple of questions being a new jeeper.

The first being: when my wife and I first went to test drive this vehicle, I put down the sunrider on it, but was unable to get the header latches to latch when we got back to the dealership. The dealer had told us that we had undone the sunrider wrong and that's why we weren't able to latch it back up. He told us that we had to undo the rear sail flaps before undoing the sunrider to release the tension from the rear, in order for the header latches to latch. Now, prior to the test drive, I had read up and watched youtube videos of how to take down the sunrider, so when I went to go put it down I was careful not to undo the side latches (don't know what they are officially called) that hold the top in place if you just want to put the sunrider down and not the whole top. The dealer insisted that we had taken it down wrong though and I didn't want to fight him on it at the time.

I should mention that the problem we were having was when we would go to put down the sunrider the passenger clip would always come undone, and since it had come undone we either had to take the entire top down anyway or with enough force, (which I don't like doing) it would lock back up.

A few weeks after having the problem my wife took it to the service dept where we had bought it and out of 4 people there, only 1 knew how to actually take a wrangler top down. After trying to mess with it for a minute he said that there was a problem with the top and that they would order new hardware for it and since we bought it like that we wouldn't get charged. To be quite honest, that surpassed my expectations.

Now, after the new hardware was installed it worked a handful of times but I am starting to have the same problem all over again. It doesn't matter which header latch I undo first, (driver or pass.) or if I undo the rear sail flaps first, the end result is the same. The passenger clip comes undone anyway.

Anyway, to make a longer story short. My wife has to take it back to the service dept. so they can fix a recall on it and I was going to have her ask them about it, but my question is to all the experienced jeepers out there.

Are there different canopies for different bow systems? I thought I read somewhere online that there are sunrider canopies designed for the sunrider only and ones that are designed for a non sunrider top. Could that be an issue?
I did take a look at the top and it's a chrysler brand top. It had the logo and some numbers which when I googled them turned up nothing.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time in reading this post.

Quick Reply: Hi Guys! New Wrangler owner.