Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New Member, First Jeep Lafayette, LA

Old 09-20-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member, First Jeep Lafayette, LA

Hello all, just bought my first Jeep. It's an '08 Sahara Unlimited that I lovingly call "La Roux", short for Rougarou, because one day she'll be a swamp monster. So far the only upgrades are Quadratec floor mats and some newly Plasti Dipped wheels. I'm amazed at how well the wheels turned out. Here are some photos, sorry about the low quality. Let me know what you think.
Before:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3629.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	576476
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3632.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	576477
After:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3634.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	576478
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	576479
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 PM
JK Junkie

Welcome to the forum. Second person from Lafayette to join today. Miss that place. Living in Shreveport now.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello! and welcome to the JK-Forum
Old 09-21-2014, 12:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm between Sunset and Opelousas.
I want to change the color of my rims too. Did you mask your tires or just cut & peel the xs dip? Where did you buy the plasti-dip?
I'm also thinking about using paint.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to JK Forum!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default Plasti dip, shine your tires before. If you mess up it peels off.

Originally Posted by BellDiver
I'm between Sunset and Opelousas.
I want to change the color of my rims too. Did you mask your tires or just cut & peel the xs dip? Where did you buy the plasti-dip?
I'm also thinking about using paint.
I didn't mask the tires I had just gotten a wash, wax and tire shrine so the wheels were clean to apply the plasti dip and it pulled right off the tires. All I did for prep work was tap over the lugs and valve tip, and used some old rags to cover the brakes and rotors. Some people use index cards but I recommend the tire shine and cutting where the tire meets rim.
Plenty of videos online. Just take your time and make sure to apply even coats. Couldn't have been easier. They sell plasti dip at lowes and walmart around $8/can (I used 3 cans for 5 wheels).
Good luck!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:07 PM
-

Although I'm not a fan of the plasti-dip.. I am considering repainting our rims.. I started several months ago on a different set until I found someone willing to swap tires with me.. But again the wife has made a stipulation, that if I'm going to highlight the rims.. she wants them all done at once.. and this is sort of hard not having the proper location to do this.. but I was highlighting the inner 5 spoke area red and leaving the outer or the flat surface the silver color.
This has to be one of the easiest things anyone can do.. but plasti-dip acts more like a rubber shield and if hit at the right spot and the right time.. will start to look like crap.. Not sure if those who do this to their rims are doing this just as a means to protect the rims from road rash or simply trying to be different.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default Plasti Dip, is cheap, easy and it looks good.

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Although I'm not a fan of the plasti-dip.. I am considering repainting our rims.. I started several months ago on a different set until I found someone willing to swap tires with me.. But again the wife has made a stipulation, that if I'm going to highlight the rims.. she wants them all done at once.. and this is sort of hard not having the proper location to do this.. but I was highlighting the inner 5 spoke area red and leaving the outer or the flat surface the silver color.
This has to be one of the easiest things anyone can do.. but plasti-dip acts more like a rubber shield and if hit at the right spot and the right time.. will start to look like crap.. Not sure if those who do this to their rims are doing this just as a means to protect the rims from road rash or simply trying to be different.
I dipped the wheels because I like the black wheel look and it was a cheap experiment. Its an added bonus that it sort of protects the wheels. It doesn't look or feel rubbery to the touch.
And if it gets hit with a rock and peels a bit of the plasti paint job all you do is peel off the entire coat like a sticker and buy an $8 can to repaint it.
In the future I may shell out the money to get it professionally painted but for the moment (you know since i just purchased a jeep) funds are too low to not chose the plasti alternative.

Quick Reply: New Member, First Jeep Lafayette, LA