Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New member - Howdy.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - Howdy.

Good morning. Name is Mike. I am a retired soldier, now working in the power industry.

My hobbies are competitive shooting, ham radio, dog training and showing, hiking, and JEEPS.

I currently do not own a jeep. There is a bit of a story there. In the late 70s I owned an Auto Union jeep. I was a soldier in Germany when I had this. Never heard of it? Did you ever hear of AUDI? Well, Auto-Union was the WW-II forerunner of Audi. This is what it looked like.

https://www.google.com/images?q=1958...nga+auto+union It had a 3-cylinder 2-cycle engine, but it was powerful and fast enough. If you have even driven a 2-cycle motorcycle, you know what I mean. We had a lot of fun with it, in the summer. In the winter it was not a pleasant ride. Germany gets COLD! And with a canvas top and minimal heater, it was just cold. My German Girlfriend ran it into a tree and killed it. But she promised to marry me, so it got repaired and sold for a more "winter friendly" vehicle.

While trying to serve the country and raise a family, soldier-pay didn't allow the luxury of a second vehicle. Especially a toy. So I was jeepless for a number of years.

In 2000 an opportunity opened up. I got a 1976 DJ-5D. Over the years I worked on it, and even used it for home-schooling my daughter in auto shop 3 times a week. She did the overhaul on the Dana-44 rear axle. It wasn't 4WD, but it got me everywhere I wanted to go in the desert. Big wide tires that floated over the sand and the Dana-44 made up for the lack of 4WD.

Some DJ photos here. postal jeep

I got a promotion at work about 4 years ago, and the DJ-project ground to a halt. I never really "enjoyed" working on it. And now I had even less time.

A few weeks ago my daughter's Toyota died. Not repairable, and she was incapable of purchasing anything else. So I gave her the DJ. This left me jeepless. But this is not the end of the story.

Remember that German Girlfriend that promised to marry me? Well, she did. We have been together 37 years now. And she promised that my birthday present next year would be a new jeep. Woo-hoo! Any jeep I want. Just pick it out or order it.

And now my head is spinning. I just came to the realization that I know almost NOTHING about the new jeeps. And worse, the salesmen at the local jeep dealer are about ZERO help.

So I come here seeking knowledge. The difference between the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited is clear. With a wife, a couple of Great Danes, and grandkids, I think I want the Unlimited. That is unless there is some glaring flaw in them.

Beyond that, I need help. I see many on the road. There is the SPORT, the SAHARA, The RUBICON, the X, the TRAIL RATED, and I am sure others I cannot recall at 4am (I am on night shift this week).

I will be surfing the messages, looking to learn what I can. HOWEVER - PLEASE....... if anyone can point me to a message or web site that can guide a rank beginner to understanding what each level or option is, I would be most grateful.

Well, top of the hour, I need to make my system checks. Thanks much, and a very happy Thanksgiving to all.

Mike-5.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome, Mike. Quite the back story!

There are guys who hate the 4 doors and guys that love them. If you need the space I would go with the 4 door. We have one of each.

When I was looking to get a Jeep, I started at Jeep.com. Here's the link.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Trail Rated 4 Door SUV

A lot of info there and then just read, read, read on this forum. Lot's of good info here as well.

And thanks for your service!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard the JK-Forum Mike
Old 11-25-2014, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

Welcome to JK Forum!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you sir, thank you very much.

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Welcome, Mike. Quite the back story!

When I was looking to get a Jeep, I started at Jeep.com. Here's the link.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Trail Rated 4 Door SUV

A lot of info there and then just read, read, read on this forum. Lot's of good info here as well.

And thanks for your service!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thank you sir. Although I served 20 years, my service wasn't anything compared to the troopers of today. I did 1 combat tour and 4 years of counter-narcotics operations "south" of our borders, and sometimes on our south-western borders. I also spent nearly 8 of my first 10 years on the Iron Curtain. The young troopers of today are maintaining an ops tempo that is just amazing. I have nothing but admiration and respect for them, and GOD bless them all. Compared to them, I had a 20-year vacation.

Thanks for the link. Plenty to study for starters. But as I read, for every answer I read, I come up with two more questions. <grin>.

Pretty certain that I want the Unlimited. Wife - grandkids, 4 Great Danes in the family, and on some of my outings I have been known to sleep in the back of my rig.

My DJ-5D had a Dana-44 so I know the value of a D-44. This automatically puts me in the Rubicon class, for the D-44 on front and rear.

The engine of pretty much no choice as I see it, the 3.6L is all that is offered. And looks plenty enough.

Transmission. I have had nothing but automatic transmissions for 30 years. I would rather have the automatic. BUT - I could be talked out of that with the right reasoning.

Transfer case. I almost certainly want the 4:1 ratio. But again, the right argument could change my mind.

Axle Ratios - looks like stock is 3.73:1, with a 4.10:1 optional. What I could not determine was if there was a determining factor in the transmission selection, like the 3.73:1 was the ONLY available ratio with the automatic.

I will from time to time be towing an off-road-capable pop-up camper.

In addition I see the Rubicon comes with 32" tires. My son tells me they are really 31" tires. I could see them wearing out and being replaced with 33" or even 35". That depends on what will easily fit with minimal modifications. So far I haven't found that data.

So much to learn! But I have until 30 Aug next year, as the new jeep is to be my birthday present.

I am thinking that wheel size may force the selection of axle ratios, which MIGHT force the transmission selection. Just haven't found that info yet. And my local jeep dealer isn't the brightest bulb in the string. They don't even stock brochures.

Anyway - HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all. God bless all the troopers who are not home this holiday season. And thanks for the welcome.

Mike - El Paso, Texas.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Welcome to the club Mike and thank you for your service! Those postal jeeps are awesome..
Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkdoppler
Welcome to the club Mike and thank you for your service! Those postal jeeps are awesome..
Mine was pretty nice. But it isn't mine anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hummer 0_5.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	585798
Click for larger image.

I put 80k miles on it, AFTER the USPS was done with it. The tires and wheels did a great deal for stability, and the flotation over sand was great. Never got stuck. But never pushed it either.

Mike - El Paso, Texas

Quick Reply: New member - Howdy.