Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Trail Etiquette: RIght of Way?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail Etiquette: RIght of Way?

When on narrow trails and one vehicle will have to pull over to let the other pass, which one pulls over, the one coming out or the on going in?
Old 10-22-2016, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have always figured up hill had right of way but on a narrow trail we always figure which ever vehicle is going to have the easiest time getting over. If you are on a narrow shelf road I always am looking for suitable places to pull over in case I meet someone. every wheeler I have met has done the same.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Up the trail usually has the right of way. But it's also who has the safest place to pull over.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Right of way

Thanks to you both. This was good advice while I was on the trail yesterday. Encountered 2 vehilcles, one coming up and another going downhill.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know about right of way, but I generally stop, pull to the side as far as I can, and wait. When I see someone else I automatically assume they haven't seen me yet, better safe than sorry.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Also depends on the number of rigs in your group. Typically smaller groups will yield to larger groups unless the larger group has a better/safer area to pull off... default will always be the safest option.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All responses are good trail etiquette. Usually, the larger group gets the pass but things like up hill vs downhill come into play. It's good trail etiquette to stop and talk to the leader coming the other direction. Once yielded the group coming through should let the group off to the side know when they are the last rig through. When someone holds up fingers it's to signify number of rigs still coming through and not a piece sign. 🤓

Quick Reply: Trail Etiquette: RIght of Way?