Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Wave from Canada!

Old 04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wave from Canada!

Hi everybody,

New here from Montreal, Quebec.

Got my first Wrangler, a '14 JKU Sahara, last October and really enjoy it. Went on the trail 3 weeks later, then realized I should have traded my '10 liberty earlier haha.

After the purchase I spotted lots of rust on the knuckle, diff and drive shaft parts. I know its surface rust but since the dealer was not helpful at all I decided I resolve the problem myself. I cleaned, degreased, treated the rust and painted the parts with epoxy based paint. It was Probably a good idea with endless winter we had.

I installed some Duratrac before the winter and 3 or 4 others things. Next thing is to complete my tow setup. We haul a little pop-up trailer (2,200 lbs). I will install the brake controller and the friction anti-sway bar for sure. I need to read some threads here to decide if I install the weight distribution hitch or not.

For the mod, I'm aiming a 2.5" Teraflex lift by the end of the year and probably a set of led healight and light bar. Time will tell!

Cheers!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and nice job with the de rusting .
Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Looks good! Welcome and be sure to check the sub-forum "staging area" to locate some of your locals.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Guys! I will take a look at the local section for sure!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Now how the hell did you do such a good job? Did you take all the parts off and paint them. Looks brand new.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Haha thanks.

I did all the job under the jeep, with minimal disassembly. To degrease the parts, I now use Grez-OFF. I used many and this one works pretty good. I then brushed with a metal wire rotary brush and with an hand brush most of the surface rust. To convert the rust I use the Rust buster primer. I think it's a local Canadian market product, but you can probably find a similar product in the States.

And for the paint I used the VHT roll bar and chassis epoxy based paint. When drying it looks almost like powder coating, and it's strong and very resistant to rust, salt and chemicals. I used this in my engine bay on my '87 car and on my trailer-tent frame. I really like it.

VHT paint: VHT Roll Bar & Chassis Paint
Grez-Off: http://www.spraynine.com/product/gre...-degreaser-638

More before shots, straight out of the dealer...

and after the job...

and at least, let me put a shot of the upper side of this JK, lol.

With a Jeep buddy!

Cheers,
Old 04-25-2015, 03:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to a fellow Canuck and I hear you on endless winter.

Awesome work I started similar last year but need to get under there again. Yours looks great! Not always easy working under the Jeep and above you head.

Come on warmer weather!!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Couldn't said it better! It was still snowing yesterday here... I can't wait to install my soft top for the first time!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome job.

Quick Reply: Wave from Canada!