Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is This a Completely Undisguised JL Wrangler?

Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have confirmation, that is not the new wrangler.

This one is......

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-800252725.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	661204

Believe me, I triple checked.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good features except for that front end !

FROM WHAT IS VISIBLE, THE NEW FEATURES REGARDING THE THREE PIECE ROOF IS GREAT. I ALSO WOULD REALLY LOVE MY REAR WINDOWS TO POP OUT ESPECIALLY FOR MY DOG !! I WAS WONDERING, IT LOOKS LIKE THE ROOF STILL WILL NOT BE LOAD BEARING. I JUST HATE ALL THAT EXOSKELETON BRACING YOU HAVE TO PUT ON THE JKs TO PUT A ROOF RACK ON. RUINS THE LOOK TO ME. MAYBE DOWN THE ROAD. BUT, IF IT WOULD ADD A LOT OF TOP WEIGHT, I WOULD GUESS THE STATUS QUO IS BEST IT WILL GET..
Old 11-18-2016, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default I'm hoping you're wrong !!

Originally Posted by horrocks007
i have confirmation, that is not the new wrangler.

This one is......

Attachment 661204

believe me, i triple checked.
i find it extremely hard to believe that fca would do away with the 7 slot front end !!! That grill is patented and has always, always been left alone. The front end on this jeep looks terrible and the fog lights out on the fenders would be impractical for foggy conditions. If this is indeed the new jl front end, i'm glad i have my jku !!!
Old 11-18-2016, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MERCURYMIKE
i find it extremely hard to believe that fca would do away with the 7 slot front end !!! That grill is patented and has always, always been left alone. The front end on this jeep looks terrible and the fog lights out on the fenders would be impractical for foggy conditions. If this is indeed the new jl front end, i'm glad i have my jku !!!
What's wrong with you? 🤔
Old 11-18-2016, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default Are you some kind of wise guy ??

Originally Posted by marbleheadguy
what's wrong with you? 🤔
i'm an automotive engineer that works with fca design and development! ! You stay up there in new england and look at the pretty leaves!! I guess you are an expert considering the location you reside in. I've been driving jeeps since before your daddy's daddy thought about him. You're still so wet behind the ears, you probably don't know a tie rod from a tie clip.!!! That's what's wrong with me. Jerk !!!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Show me a 2-door please.

I kinda' dig some of the hardtop options. I like the removable sides on the hardtop.

I don't like the horizontal hood latches or the lack of folding front glass.

Overall, it looks much "softer" than a JK. But I'll withhold judgement until I see a 2-door and I see one on a trail.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default It has some good ideas ....

I think it's too early to make a judgment about whether or not it will still "look like a Wrangler" when it's done. The Renegade looking front end was probably just the first thing they went for in the clay models when they wanted to toss ideas around for refreshing its look. (Obviously, the Jeep Renegade is the most recent vehicle in their lineup, so that's the "freshest" look they've got.) Pretty sure it's fair to say the patented, vertical slotted Jeep grill is something they won't really stray from, though.

Personally, I love the idea of putting the handles on top for the hard top pieces. The hard top on my JKU is the most clumsy thing ever to deal with. Even the zippered "Freedom panel storage bag" is an exercise in frustration -- with the front metal latches on the panels always getting caught on the edges of the bag when trying to slide a panel in or out of it. And the main portion of the hard top is challenging enough to deal with that it's sold tens of thousands of hoists in people's garages.

Moving the third brake light to the top rear, above the rear window, is another good move. The 3rd. brake light the JK's use now creates a big blind spot in the window and looks almost like an after-thought somebody bolted in place on a big metal bracket.

I hear a lot of complaints about eliminating the fold-down front windshield -- but truthfully, I know almost nobody making any use of that anymore. On the JK/JKU, it's already a pretty big hassle to fold it down vs. older models. I think what people really want is just having those bolts available so LED light bars and aftermarket bolt-on side mirrors and the like have easy attachment points? Hopefully they'll do *something* so the aftermarket can still easily accomplish that.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Whatever that is. I do not want
Old 11-20-2016, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

We already know that's not what the JL will look like, save for the design of the top. The way it's designed in that mold, with section panels that can be removed, is probably pretty close to what it's going to be.

Name:	3029447170-2018-jeep-wrangler-ve-2019-grand-wagoneer-den-ilk-goruntuler-mi.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	661379

Name:	JL-Wrangler-Black-Roof-JLwranglerforums.gif
Views:	1734
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	661380

The JL exterior is going to look very much like a JK with the exception of better angles and lines in areas for aerodynamics and the increased length to accommodate the 8-speed auto.

Obviously, there are still a lot of rumors floating around and a bunch of unknowns, but picture a sleeker looking JK with a new interior similar to all the current Jeep offerings. And this is a good thing; the exterior design of the Wrangler has aged well, but the interior has certainly not. We'll probably lose the manual transfer case shifter in favor of the SelecTerrain dial, but the instrument cluster will get a center display and the Wrangler will finally get the modern UConnect 8.4 nav system.

The most promising aspect of the JL are the rumored powertrain options. Torque and fuel economy are two big factors of the Wrangler that could use improvement and although many would rightly argue that those aren't reasons to buy one, we live in a day and age where you can get a healthy amount of both out of a relatively small engine. Likewise, the JL truck variant can't simply be a Wrangler with a bed on the back. If it's going to be a true truck and compete with the likes of the Tacoma and the Colorado/Canyon, it needs to have true truck capability. And that means it needs to be able to tow and haul more cargo than a late '90s 4-door sedan.

The JL looks promising and Jeep is no stranger to beautiful design innovations (I'd argue that Chrysler makes some of the best looking and accessibly designed interiors of the big three), but FCA still suffers greatly in the quality control and longevity department. The JL is going to be riddled with bugs and it'll probably take a few model years for them to get ironed out.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by C Moe

This clay design study gives us the best look we've had yet at some of the new features and changes that should arrive with the JL.

Read the rest on the JK Forum homepage. >>

The pictures look like a Wrangler and a Liberty had rough angry drunken sex which resulted in ^. It's got Curves, Blah

Quick Reply: Is This a Completely Undisguised JL Wrangler?