Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Ecodiesel for JL....

Old 06-28-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikekeeper
You could buy a Renegade if you think the Wrangler cost so much. 99% of all other vehicles don't hold their 5 year resale value like the Wrangler.
Your not telling me anything I don't know. Was the renegade comment suppose to be an insult of some sort. Hmm.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low
I think the "serious" towing will be left to the Ram Pickups. The Wrangler based truck will be a sport truck, different cargo carrying configuration , making the JKU last anoher 10 year cycle
When I mean "serious" towing, I mean the Wrangler truck needs to be able to tow more than 3,000lbs. My wife's old '94 Subaru Legacy can tow 3,000lbs. C'mon.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

The old "Can " vs "Should" debate. Good luck with that !
Old 06-30-2016, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully with the new platform comes better brakes, better control software and better towing. The long wheelbase of a crew cab pickup will hopefully match the towing capabilities of at least the Tacoma or Canyon / Colorado, otherwise I don't see the point of competing in the segment. Sure a live axle front hasn't been seen on a midsize pick-up since the early 90s, but that is not going to move units. Brand loyalty can only go so far.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
Hopefully with the new platform comes better brakes, better control software and better towing. The long wheelbase of a crew cab pickup will hopefully match the towing capabilities of at least the Tacoma or Canyon / Colorado, otherwise I don't see the point of competing in the segment. Sure a live axle front hasn't been seen on a midsize pick-up since the early 90s, but that is not going to move units. Brand loyalty can only go so far.
Exactly. This was one of the reasons why I thought the JK8 conversion was a goofy, overpriced, and virtually useless MOPAR offering. Yes, you turn the rear into a bed, but you don't get any true "truck" capability out of it. You still can't tow anything beyond what a 4-door sedan can and the tub height was way too low.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

I am really really really hoping they improve the towing capacity to make the pickup more viable, but with the trend in diesel mini/half-ton trucks on the rise, I see non-Jeepers looking for better fuel mileage trucks. A diesel is going to open up that market to new owners who want a small work truck that doesnt get 12 mpg.

I see a high probability that the diesel will come in the pickup
Old 01-13-2017, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

We can kiss the diesel option bye bye thanks to another emissions scam. I have always wondered if VW needed to do it with a 4 cylinder how the heck are the others passing without cheating? I guess we are starting to get that answer one manufacturer at a time. I hope I'm totally wrong.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jetwag03
We can kiss the diesel option bye bye thanks to another emissions scam. I have always wondered if VW needed to do it with a 4 cylinder how the heck are the others passing without cheating? I guess we are starting to get that answer one manufacturer at a time. I hope I'm totally wrong.
Pretty much I have little faith that they will come out with a diesel model now
Old 01-13-2017, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talking with someone that owns an MB diesel Sprinter workvan and he said with now that the diesels are having to have the exhaust fluid the engines are becoming less reliable. Sounds like the typical one step forward two steps back thing to me, cleaner air but more breakdowns and maintenance and an article I read several years ago was stating how much the UK regretted pushing diesels in their market because of emissions.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

In the 90's gas emissions made a lot of those engines "unreliable" diesel is just going through the same thing. It will eventually catch up. It can be done as there are plenty of diesels that meet the emissions requirements.

Quick Reply: Ecodiesel for JL....