Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How long until they unveil the JL?

Old 01-21-2017, 02:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, according to him, what are the problems with the JK that are being fixed?
Old 01-21-2017, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No specifics are given in the excerpt I read. Since Mike Manley is head of the Jeep division, I expect " improvements" will reflect what he's seen on this Forum, and from listening to input from serious Jeep people.
I have a 2015 2 dr, manual trans ,3:73, manual windows and locks.
I love it, it's a DD, no complaints. I want to hear the engine, feel the road, anticipate hills, corners, shift accordingly. In short, DRIVE the Jeep.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low
No specifics are given in the excerpt I read. Since Mike Manley is head of the Jeep division, I expect " improvements" will reflect what he's seen on this Forum, and from listening to input from serious Jeep people.
I have a 2015 2 dr, manual trans ,3:73, manual windows and locks.
I love it, it's a DD, no complaints. I want to hear the engine, feel the road, anticipate hills, corners, shift accordingly. In short, DRIVE the Jeep.
I'd like a little better gas mileage and an engine that doesn't burn oil. Other than that, I don't see much to fix. Looking forward to updated design and new tech in the radio/nav system. I'm 90% sure I'll go with the manual transmission, for the reasons you mention, if the gas mileage is competitive. I love shifting my JK. I wonder why no 7 or 8 speed on a manual? Maybe there's no real advantage to it.

Any thoughts on what to expect out of the nav/radio tech? Android auto? Big screen? Topographical maps? I'd love to see more off road oriented features on the nav system.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

None of the Electronics you mentioned interest me ; I prefer looking out the windshield, thats the Terrain .
I do hope "Quality Improvements " include MUCH BETTER CORROSION RESISTANCE.
Shout -out to FCA , Jeep Division on this. Jeeps have always been Notorious Rust Buckets, no excuse for this. The fact that JKs have skimpy paint coverage ( remove hinges, see what I mean) doesn't bode well for JK longevity.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
None of the Electronics you mentioned interest me ; I prefer looking out the windshield, thats the Terrain .
I do hope "Quality Improvements " include MUCH BETTER CORROSION RESISTANCE.
Shout -out to FCA , Jeep Division on this. Jeeps have always been Notorious Rust Buckets, no excuse for this. The fact that JKs have skimpy paint coverage ( remove hinges, see what I mean) doesn't bode well for JK longevity.
Well, they do interest me.

I agree on the corrosion protection, but I've gotten the jump on that. While I'd like to see that improved, with the JK's and prior Jeeps, washing after off-roading or running on salted winter roads is critical. Every year, I also hit spots on the frame and underbody with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and then when it dries, regular Rustoleum. My Jeep, after 109k, looks almost new all over the body and underneath. My YJ was the same when I sold it at 10 years old. It would be nice not to have to do all that, but it is worth it.

Aluminum body parts should help this, but we'll still have to watch them closely where they contact steel, such as hinges.

Honestly, I've not seen Jeeps as any worse than the Ford and Chevy trucks I've had with similar age and mileage. Toyota just settled or lost a law suit on pickup truck frames rusting prematurely and weakening. Nothing unique to Jeep in this department, from what I see.

Last edited by dmwil; 01-22-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of the new JL

From Autoblog: The 2018 Jeep Wrangler will look a lot like the 2017 Jeep Wrangler - Autoblog

Windshield pitch changes (less up/down), hood gets a raised center, lights are LED inside and out, front end gets headlights infringing on grill, bigger/wider stock tires, better MPG. They have confirmed a Diesel. Rumors from multiple articles include full panels on top and removable back (see Wrangler Pickup pictures below for panels), aluminum parts (hood, etc.) to reduce weight, no manual transmission?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dleon2
From Autoblog: The 2018 Jeep Wrangler will look a lot like the 2017 Jeep Wrangler - Autoblog

Windshield pitch changes (less up/down), hood gets a raised center, lights are LED inside and out, front end gets headlights infringing on grill, bigger/wider stock tires, better MPG. They have confirmed a Diesel. Rumors from multiple articles include full panels on top and removable back (see Wrangler Pickup pictures below for panels), aluminum parts (hood, etc.) to reduce weight, no manual transmission?
We already know there will be a manual transmission and a diesel engine. Also a turbo 4 and a gas V6, either the current Pentastar or an updated one.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Notice the cut outs under the bottom edge of the hard top panel, passenger side rear. A thoughtful touch to make lifting/ removing panels easier.
Looking forward to many such "improvements" when the JL debuts
Old 03-24-2017, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Either way, the answer is always too long.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Possible fixes? What I'm looking for:
  • New manual trans w/ 4.7:1 first gear and reverse up and to left. Much better than the current reverse down & right
  • HD front axle from the RECON
  • New heavier duty 12 bolt D44 rear axle
  • 8 speed auto tranny with 4.7:1 first gear
  • Rock rails from the RECON - Can fit 35's without clearance issues

No doubt I will be going w/ a 4dr Rubi Unlimited. As of now, leaning toward manual trans. The manual will be shorter than the 8 speed auto allowing for longer drive shafts. I'm more than a little concerned w/ the shortend drive shafts needed by the 8 speed auto. Main concern is that FCA will take a price savings short cut and go back to a slip-yoke design for either or both drive shafts

Just incase FCA is monitoring this: I would be getting the 4 dr Rubicon truck if they were not going to hold production until 2019. FCA lost $$$

Quick Reply: How long until they unveil the JL?