Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Will the JL torpedo the JK ?

Old 03-12-2017, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My JK isn't going anywhere. I just hope the JL drives down aftermarket JK accessory prices!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest improvement to the Wrangler won't be all the new technology, but the powertrain options. Nobody knows if the JL is really going to be that much more powerful or have any significant improvement in fuel economy. The only vehicles Jeep have that even get remotely decent gas mileage are all running the 2.4L engine and that isn't gonna work in the Wrangler. Even the GC's diesel doesn't really put out impressive numbers.

The JK had a real rocky start, but now that they've been building them for ten years, they've finally gotten them right. They're not perfect, but certainly more solid. The JK is going to be fine for a while.

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
I agree with the lever but I don't want to completely rule out the dial. My Tacoma with the 4 wheel drive dial had well over 100k on it without issues. Hopefully Jeep can make the dial as reliable as Toyota has
FCA will never put out anything remotely as reliable as Toyota.

Last edited by Spank; 03-12-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If they give it a decent power train with the power to pull it up a 7% grade on 40's in overdrive then yes it will kill the JK value.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If they give it a decent power train with the power to pull it up a 7% grade on 40's in overdrive then yes it will kill the JK value.
And we know no manufacturer overbuilds a vehicle without overcharging the customer
Old 03-12-2017, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Which they absolutely will not do. They'll do just enough to make it satisfactory for stock applications. Putting things like a vacuum pump outside of the engine bay near the bumper, using a horribly dated manual transmission that is pretty much maxed out on torque with the Pentastar, and still using the worst OEM ball joints ever shows that FCA and Jeep puts incredibly low aftermarket consideration in the development and design of the Wrangler.

The Wrangler truck, on the other hand, is going to need a serious powertrain. It can't just be a Wrangler with the bed on the back. It needs to have true truck torque and towing capability, something the Wrangler has never had. I'm eager to see what they do (or don't do).

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
And we know no manufacturer overbuilds a vehicle without overcharging the customer
And Jeep hasn't overbuilt anything in over 30 years.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spank
The biggest improvement to the Wrangler won't be all the new technology, but the powertrain options. Nobody knows if the JL is really going to be that much more powerful or have any significant improvement in fuel economy. The only vehicles Jeep have that even get remotely decent gas mileage are all running the 2.4L engine and that isn't gonna work in the Wrangler. Even the GC's diesel doesn't really put out impressive numbers. The JK had a real rocky start, but now that they've been building them for ten years, they've finally gotten them right. They're not perfect, but certainly more solid. The JK is going to be fine for a while. FCA will never put out anything remotely as reliable as Toyota.
Perhaps that's true but think about this. Most Toyota guys don't run 35's or larger because they can't without some serious chopping and $$ long travel.

It's so easy for us jeep guys to slap on 35's or 37's with a simple trim and spacer lift. It's no wonder we break things more often and tire out stock components.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:06 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
Perhaps that's true but think about this. Most Toyota guys don't run 35's or larger because they can't without some serious chopping and $$ long travel.

It's so easy for us jeep guys to slap on 35's or 37's with a simple trim and spacer lift. It's no wonder we break things more often and tire out stock components.

Good point. I see more JK's running 35's with practically stock everything. Most FJ's I see are running 33's. Every now and then I'll see one on 35's but it's pretty modded out compared to most....

Old 03-12-2017, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
Good point. I see more JK's running 35's with practically stock everything. Most FJ's I see are running 33's. Every now and then I'll see one on 35's but it's pretty modded out compared to most.... .
I had a few Toyota's on 33's!

I'm still on stock BJ's with 53k with my 35's now. Quite a few guys in my club have run their factory 44 shafts for years with breaking them either.

I was bending/ tweaking tie rods on my tacoma and tweaking the steering a lot. And that was with 32's
Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

If the market gets flooded with JK's from people swapping to JL's, yes, you will see a drastic reduction in JK pricing. Simple supply and demand. Too many variables right now to know if that'll happen or not.

Either way, I would certainly expect a quick blip at first as people are excited to get their hands on the new model and dealers resist having too many of the old model on their lots. Long term I think it will continue to depreciate similar to how the TJ did.

That said, I'm probably going to put a deposit down on a JL though, as I can likely buy it and sell it 6 months later for ~5% less than what I paid. Not sure I can convince myself that I need 3 Jeeps though -- but it'll give me a chance to decide if I want the JL over my 98 Hemi TJ. Tough choice either way. Love the old TJ's, and I'd probably miss the V8 too much.

Last edited by guarnibl; 03-24-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

[QUOTE=guarnibl;4285075]If the market gets flooded with JK's from people swapping to JL's, yes, you will see a drastic reduction in JK pricing. Simple supply and demand./QUOTE]

You could have said the same thing about the TJ when the JKs came out, but look what a used TJ continues to run 10 years after the JK came out. I'd imagine there will be some small hit, but the wrangler is such a classic design that there will always be demand out there.

Quick Reply: Will the JL torpedo the JK ?