Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

2015 day runs across the Rubicon

Old 07-22-2015, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I might be in. It just depends on the timing.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Asinine
yes, it does. I run it on 3.5" with 35s and so do many others....

The week after Labor Day sucks for me because of work, but nearly any other week should be fine.

A "fully built rig" is simply real lockers and 35s or larger, plus sufficient lift to clear those tires under full articulation.

Anyone can run the Rubicon. All it takes is time and rock stacking. Stock rigs run that trail.

Our run will have no spotting. No rock stacking. Quick recoveries. Driving the line you watched in front of you.

Like I've said previously, the driver willl usually dictate if you're up for this type of run. I brought a guy from this board on 35s. He had no problems. It's all a matter of how comfortable you are with a nice day drive across a moderate trail. We won't be running old sleuce or little sleuce with this run, but we will run everything else.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A day trip can easily be done. We left Sacramento at 700 and made rubicon springs at 5. No hurrying, an hour for lunch. My buddy was on a tj with 33's.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
A day trip can easily be done. We left Sacramento at 700 and made rubicon springs at 5. No hurrying, an hour for lunch. My buddy was on a tj with 33's.
I agree. The main hold up is traffice. Either people coming towards you, or slowwww groups who won't pull over. Another problem I had was other group's breaking down and not getting off the trail for their fix.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
I agree. The main hold up is traffice. Either people coming towards you, or slowwww groups who won't pull over. Another problem I had was other group's breaking down and not getting off the trail for their fix.
We got stuck behind some guys going up Cadillac Hill that just parked right in the middle. Mid week a day run should be no problem. Weekend a little more challenging, still very doable.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
We got stuck behind some guys going up Cadillac Hill that just parked right in the middle. Mid week a day run should be no problem. Weekend a little more challenging, still very doable.
I've done maybe 20 mid-week day runs and not had problems, including one the week before the jamboree where I was able to chat with all the set up/rock stacking people. One Friday run was difficult because of reverse direction traffic, but that was unusual.

I've done about 5 weekend day trips, but the last time I did it I ran into the slowww drinking crowd who wouldn't pull over. That's why i never do weekend trips any more unless I'm in the October timeframe.

I used to do over nighters all the time, and even did 3 day trips a couple times. I just got bored at the pace. You have to really want to just hang out and enjoy the views so it's fun, or it's kind of boring. I was running with a group on this forum that planned 7 days up there. I went to my cabin instead. I can wheel behind my cabin and return to my bed on my front porch at night. Plus, no annoying bears...
Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

I have got a 2-dr on 33s and locked front and rear. Wouldn't this match up with 4dr on 35s or no? Most sites want 35s to run rubicon but I just moved from east coast so have no idea.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cormac827
I have got a 2-dr on 33s and locked front and rear. Wouldn't this match up with 4dr on 35s or no? Most sites want 35s to run rubicon but I just moved from east coast so have no idea.
You can get through on a 2 dr w/33's. I just went with a tj on 33's with no major issues.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:39 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cormac827
As long as you have full skids, you should be good with that setup. You might turtle in a couple of spots but nothing you could winch out of or rock yourself out of if you have a few extra hands with you.

For these particular days runs though, I think the objective is more in the line of getting through on your own at a faster pace even though there maybe 2-3 other rigs running with you. So the 35's, lockers, full-skids, is ideally where you would like to be.

Having said that, I've run it in a 2-door, 35's, full-skids, and rear limited slip only but we weren't trying to get a record timed run.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
As long as you have full skids, you should be good with that setup. You might turtle in a couple of spots but nothing you could winch out of or rock yourself out of if you have a few extra hands with you. For these particular days runs though, I think the objective is more in the line of getting through on your own at a faster pace even though there maybe 2-3 other rigs running with you. So the 35's, lockers, full-skids, is ideally where you would like to be. Having said that, I've run it in a 2-door, 35's, full-skids, and rear limited slip only but we weren't trying to get a record timed run.
That makes sense! Wouldn't wanna be a guy slowing people down! Gonna plan a weekend of it sometime soon

Quick Reply: 2015 day runs across the Rubicon