Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

2015 day runs across the Rubicon

Old 08-21-2015, 05:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spinuck
I should be in for that. I'll probably meet you at the Chevron.
Woo-hoo! It should be fun. I have not run the trail since they re-routed it, so it will be a new experience for everyone!

Last edited by BKGM Jeepers; 08-21-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Shaver, like a dusy run? Or, a swamp lake run?
Yes. We are camping in shaver and driving whatever sounds good each day.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
Yes. We are camping in shaver and driving whatever sounds good each day.
Dusy is 100 miles round trip to shaver lake. I've run it in a day but it took me like 15 hrs. That's just the trail, not the 33 miles to the trail and the 36 miles afterward back to gas at shaver lake.

I really do like the trail. Awsome scenery and super high elevations.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 PM
JK Junkie

Ok,
Fordyce is this Wednesday.

Barrett is Friday, Sept 18.

I will do a rubicon loop in early November now

And hopefully a Rubicon day trip later in November

I have a club maintenance run mid October which is on the closed strawberry pass trail.

Last edited by BKGM Jeepers; 08-25-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:57 PM
JK Junkie

Epic fail!

Ran Fordyce Wednesday. Made it from the staging area to winch hill 1 in about an hour. One jeep broke it's steering just before the entry to winch hill 1. So we turned around and tried to limp him out. We got back past the water crossing and our fix failed. We then manually steered him up the hill to a turn out so an incoming group could pass. we then sent one of our rigs out to Truckee to get a replacement part while I attempted to pull him out via strap. After driving about 100 yards up the rock section, my rear DL failed.
I disconnected the rear, and ran out on front wheel drive. after about a mile, my front DL failed, so I was stranded. 4 hours later, the fix for the other jeep returned and he was running again. He drove to me and strapped me out.

Once on the freeway on ramp, I called AAA to get a tow. 6pm. after calls and calls and calls, and lies and lies and lies by Sierra tow (they never actually sent me anyone!), my friend called 911 and got a non-sierra tow to get my rig. He showed up at 130 AM. I was home by 245 but had to pay $500 for the tow, and then request reimbursement from AAA. It was a fiasco all the way around. My DLs were rebuilt less than 9 months ago...

the parts are in the show and the request for repayment is before AAA. We will see how much this experience cost me! I'll be ready for the Barrett run however.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Epic fail! Ran Fordyce Wednesday. Made it from the staging area to winch hill 1 in about an hour. One jeep broke it's steering just before the entry to winch hill 1. So we turned around and tried to limp him out. We got back past the water crossing and our fix failed. We then manually steered him up the hill to a turn out so an incoming group could pass. we then sent one of our rigs out to Truckee to get a replacement part while I attempted to pull him out via strap. After driving about 100 yards up the rock section, my rear DL failed. I disconnected the rear, and ran out on front wheel drive. after about a mile, my front DL failed, so I was stranded. 4 hours later, the fix for the other jeep returned and he was running again. He drove to me and strapped me out. Once on the freeway on ramp, I called AAA to get a tow. 6pm. after calls and calls and calls, and lies and lies and lies by Sierra tow (they never actually sent me anyone!), my friend called 911 and got a non-sierra tow to get my rig. He showed up at 130 AM. I was home by 245 but had to pay $500 for the tow, and then request reimbursement from AAA. It was a fiasco all the way around. My DLs were rebuilt less than 9 months ago... the parts are in the show and the request for repayment is before AAA. We will see how much this experience cost me! I'll be ready for the Barrett run however.
I hate those days.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Epic fail!

Ran Fordyce Wednesday. Made it from the staging area to winch hill 1 in about an hour. One jeep broke it's steering just before the entry to winch hill 1. So we turned around and tried to limp him out. We got back past the water crossing and our fix failed. We then manually steered him up the hill to a turn out so an incoming group could pass. we then sent one of our rigs out to Truckee to get a replacement part while I attempted to pull him out via strap. After driving about 100 yards up the rock section, my rear DL failed.
I disconnected the rear, and ran out on front wheel drive. after about a mile, my front DL failed, so I was stranded. 4 hours later, the fix for the other jeep returned and he was running again. He drove to me and strapped me out.

Once on the freeway on ramp, I called AAA to get a tow. 6pm. after calls and calls and calls, and lies and lies and lies by Sierra tow (they never actually sent me anyone!), my friend called 911 and got a non-sierra tow to get my rig. He showed up at 130 AM. I was home by 245 but had to pay $500 for the tow, and then request reimbursement from AAA. It was a fiasco all the way around. My DLs were rebuilt less than 9 months ago...

the parts are in the show and the request for repayment is before AAA. We will see how much this experience cost me! I'll be ready for the Barrett run however.
Dang, sounds like a rough day. What broke on the steering? sector shaft? I carry an extra steering gear box just in case. Looking forward to running Barrett.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

The guy broke a rod end on his drag link.

Those curved drag links are a mistake unless you have a joint with no neck. Otherwise the neck is the weak spot. Hit a rock with this type of design steering and it snaps right off.

It was a rough stuff drag link. My drag link is straight so it won't break like that one did.

Last edited by BKGM Jeepers; 08-29-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

I'm currently broke down on Ellis Peak. Can't shift into any gears. I made it to Tahoma PDQ, trying to find a jeep to tow me off the trail to a street for a tow truck 😒
Old 08-29-2015, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fenrir
I'm currently broke down on Ellis Peak. Can't shift into any gears. I made it to Tahoma PDQ, trying to find a jeep to tow me off the trail to a street for a tow truck dde12
Auto tranny?

Quick Reply: 2015 day runs across the Rubicon