Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

CJ5 Help

Old 06-24-2016, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CJ5 Help

Good Afternoon. I am having some trouble with a CJ5 I just purchased. I have a terrible vibration coming from the rear driveline. I do see a few issues that need to be dealt with. Right now I am trying to research the most cost effective way to resolve this issue. The Jeep has had quite a few modifications. Maybe too many! I would really love someone to come take a look and give me their opinion. If you are in the San Jose area and could spare a hour or so, I would greatly appreciate it. Just PM me please.

Thanks,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3004501123.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	650605  
Old 06-24-2016, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Just a bit more information:

4.3l with turbo 350 transmission
Dana 20 TC
Dana 44
4" lift with shackles that are 4" eye to eye

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice CJ. What year? I've got a soft spot for them, but unable to help much.

The rear driveshaft is very short and is thrown out of phase easily with lift. If I recall, on my CJ, I had to shim the axle mount to give it a better angle to the driveshaft. Might also try a new driveshaft, possibly with a CV joint.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

It is a 66. The driveline is very short and off a bit right to left. I don't know if placing a Dana 18!back in would line things back up again. There are shins, but who knows if the are correct. I did have a new CV put in. The angle of the rear end and driveline are about 3 degrees off. From what I have read, they need to be about 1 ton2 degrees difference. Is that correct?
Old 07-04-2016, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bconrad5150
It is a 66. The driveline is very short and off a bit right to left. I don't know if placing a Dana 18!back in would line things back up again. There are shins, but who knows if the are correct. I did have a new CV put in. The angle of the rear end and driveline are about 3 degrees off. From what I have read, they need to be about 1 ton2 degrees difference. Is that correct?
I don't know what degrees are necessary, I only know theory. Research driveline phase and you'll see what I'm referring to. You'll want rear driveline as close to 0 as possible or in phase with the transfer case output shaft.

If I interpreted your info correctly, sounds like your axle and transfer case don't line up, which doesn't help. Generally speaking, if it has an offset transfer case, it should have an offset axle. I knew my CJ well, but it wasn't your model year.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The most common cause is a dry u-joint.

A rear CV driveline would be the preferred solution however. There are other causes, but they are bad news and expensive to fix. I assume it's a simple driveline issue.

Remember that CJs are leaf-spring vehicles. Leaf springs rotate under load. And it gets worse the more you lift them. It's referred to as "Spring wrap", and it can break driveline u-joints. A CV driveline is a big help for this issue.

Good luck with your fix. Nice jeep! I owned a 76 CJ-5.

Quick Reply: CJ5 Help