Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

looking for 3 day trail apart from rubicon and dusy ershim...... july 23/26

Old 03-30-2015, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for 3 day trail apart from rubicon and dusy ershim...... july 23/26

Hi - i have a small group of jeepers looking for a 3 day trail run July 23-26. we had planned to run dusy ershim but just found out that it doesn't open until aug 1st. so then we looked at rubicon again but it's jamboree weekend. it took forever to get our schedules aligned for that weekend so we're locked on the date, we just need a trail! it's four reasonably well setup JKUs - all are on 35-37's with 3-5" lifts but one has no lockers/lsd. all got thru the rubicon last year (we bypassed little sluice) without winching. not sure we're ready for fordyce just yet. where else is good within 4-5 hours of SF bay area? - thanks, Alan
Old 03-31-2015, 05:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swamp lake trail up by the Dusy is open then and is a fun trail. It is easier than the Rubicon, but you can take different lines to make it interesting in a few spots. You could also add in Bald Mountain trail as a warmup, although if you like to relax at camp for awhile like we do we did it in 3 days/2 nights.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fordyce will keep you busy but it's still not 3 days.

I'd do a combo run. A couple trails.

Barrett lake is supposed to reopen this year. I'd run Barrett and fordyce if you wanted an easy three day pace.

Sorry. Reread your post. It's a drought year. I bet Dusy will be open.

Open open on 35s will be fun on Dusy.

Last edited by BKGM Jeepers; 03-31-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Swamp lake trail up by the Dusy is open then and is a fun trail. It is easier than the Rubicon, but you can take different lines to make it interesting in a few spots. You could also add in Bald Mountain trail as a warmup, although if you like to relax at camp for awhile like we do we did it in 3 days/2 nights.

thanks for the suggestions - swamp lake looks pretty good. will look into that in more detail.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Fordyce will keep you busy but it's still not 3 days.

I'd do a combo run. A couple trails.

Barrett lake is supposed to reopen this year. I'd run Barrett and fordyce if you wanted an easy three day pace.

Sorry. Reread your post. It's a drought year. I bet Dusy will be open.

Open open on 35s will be fun on Dusy.
i called the forest service and they said it's def not opening before August 1st. it's apparently a management issue vs weather related opening date.
do you think the dusy is going to be more "fun" w open open 35 than the rubicon? it's tough to see from the various videos. I'm Ok if a little help is needed occasionally but don't want to go there if it's going to be continually winching over stuff. thanks!
Old 03-31-2015, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by afletche
thanks for the suggestions - swamp lake looks pretty good. will look into that in more detail.
You could do Swamp Lake one or two days, attach Red Lake, Coyote Lake and Mirror Lake the next. Those trails will fill in your three days for sure.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

i called the forest service and they said it's def not opening before August 1st. it's apparently a management issue vs weather related opening date.
do you think the dusy is going to be more "fun" w open open 35 than the rubicon? it's tough to see from the various videos. I'm Ok if a little help is needed occasionally but don't want to go there if it's going to be continually winching over stuff. thanks!
I haven't personally driven the Rubicon or the Dusy yet but I hear the Dusy is harder than the Rubicon and longer (33 miles).
Old 03-31-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping to put together a run at bald mtn, then camp and do swamp lake. Bald mountain was fun and very cool environment. haven't been through Swamp Lake yet.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Camp at red lake trailhead "sand flats" you can hit bald, red, coyote, mirror, etc. within a few minutes of camp.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK JK
I haven't personally driven the Rubicon or the Dusy yet but I hear the Dusy is harder than the Rubicon and longer (33 miles).
Rubicon is "more fun" hands down, dusy is longer.

Quick Reply: looking for 3 day trail apart from rubicon and dusy ershim...... july 23/26