Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

NorCal - Bay Area Lift shop

Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NorCal - Bay Area Lift shop

I'm getting my AEV 2.5 lift kit on Tuesday. Does anyone have a good shop they recommend and a suggested rate? I found a mechanic off craigslist that will do it for 300 but I'm not too sure. I'm a newbie here. I would try to do it myself but I just moved to California. No tools and I don't trust myself taking apart my JK. I barely know how to fix a garage disposal or assembling some IKEA furniture.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonyatkayak
I'm getting my AEV 2.5 lift kit on Tuesday. Does anyone have a good shop they recommend and a suggested rate? I found a mechanic off craigslist that will do it for 300 but I'm not too sure. I'm a newbie here. I would try to do it myself but I just moved to California. No tools and I don't trust myself taking apart my JK. I barely know how to fix a garage disposal or assembling some IKEA furniture.

Thanks
I've got the same lift. It's not extremely difficult but just takes a little time finessing that front passenger shock out. Outside of that, install is pretty straight forward. But yes, you would definitely need to have some tools, a jack, and jack stands. A roomy garage with a personal fridge nearby also helps!

$300 doesn't sound too bad if they turn it around the same day and you absolutely have to go that route. Especially if you have zero tools. Takes about 8-10 hours. Less time if the mechanic has an actual lift to work under.

Personally, I would use that $300 and start building up your tool box. Maybe it's just me & I'm more old-school (although not very old!), but I think every man should know how to work on their vehicle. You don't have to be a master tech but it helps you to understand why/how things work. Get underneath it. Get dirty. Get that white knuckle action going.

That's the beauty of the Jeep Wrangler. It's generally an easy vehicle to work on especially compared to the cramp engine bays, etc. of a foreign sedan where you have to have the tiniest damn hands & the dexterity of Mister Fantastic just to get the damn spark plugs out.

I'm definitely no guru (still need to learn how to weld for starters) but you read, you watch, you learn, ask questions, etc. and build confidence in the process. Then most importantly, you must do then repeat the previous cycle. Plus should something eventually go wrong on the trail, on the highway, etc. but you find yourself flying solo, you'll have the confidence & the aptitude to at least try and figure it out.

It's a Wrangler. It's the quintessential "man" / "hear me roar" vehicle. People move out of the way when they see your grill in their rear view mirror. When the next "man" asks you questions about your JK as your filling up your rig at the gas station, you can answer them without hesitation. You could probably grunt and still get the answer across.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by DJ1; 07-28-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I too would use that $300 and invest it in the tools you'll need. It's good to have a basic idea of how things are put together just in case you break something on the trail. Doing the lift yourself is a good place to start. Read everything you can find, watch the videos, and ask questions when you encounter an issue. Give yourself an extra day just in case you find it taking longer than it should. Once it's done you'll have more tools, knowledge, skills, and a lifted Jeep.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Sounds like what you need is to host a install Jeep guys/gals getting together and giving a hand, done a few myself or if you're willing to travel a bit,i'll help you out
Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonyatkayak

Thanks
You should put it on yourself. It will give you a better grasp of your vehicle.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm just afraid I get stuck and will be out of commission for a few days. Let me do some research and find out what tools I need and watch some YouTube videos
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should take Familytime up on the offer, then you don't have to buy tools but still get most of the experience of getting to do work yourself. And there's no worry about getting stuck.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spinuck
Should take Familytime up on the offer, then you don't have to buy tools but still get most of the experience of getting to do work yourself. And there's no worry about getting stuck.

X2, you won't be stuck with Familytime.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

All the tools you need are available at harbor freight and although I can't dedicate a day to helping, I live in San Jose and can help out if you get stuck. I've done two budget boosts in my driveway with no drama. Budget 8 hrs but I could probably do it in 3 now.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
Sounds like what you need is to host a install Jeep guys/gals getting together and giving a hand, done a few myself or if you're willing to travel a bit,i'll help you out
where are you located?

Quick Reply: NorCal - Bay Area Lift shop