Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Who's up for a ball joint install party?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Asinine
Remember to include paint and account for drying time.

Assuming there's no powder dump in the Sierra's, I'll swing by for a bit. Not sure what I'll bring, but maybe I'll buy a few parts so I don't feel left out. Haha.
Paint straight after welding, completely dry in 10 seconds
Old 01-19-2015, 09:17 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spinuck
should I rent a press kit too, or will there be enough sets there? I'll bring some beverages as well.
I guess it depends if automaster209 makes it out with his 2. It looks like we'll have 2 kits for 4 rigs doing ball joints which should still be good but a 3rd would help to keep from waiting around...
Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
I guess it depends if automaster209 makes it out with his 2. It looks like we'll have 2 kits for 4 rigs doing ball joints which should still be good but a 3rd would help to keep from waiting around...
I have my kit also if you haven't already counted it
Old 01-19-2015, 09:31 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by richlortz
I have my kit also if you haven't already counted it
Yup I counted yours plus Hayward's as the 2 confirmed.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:56 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Default For those with axle sleeves....

Is it mandatory for the axle sleeves to be plug welded? I was hoping just to hammer them in and at most, maybe have the tapered lip of the sleeve welded to the axle tube (maybe a few tack welds or a couple of strips)....refer to pic. Don't want to have to deal with drilling out 4 holes on the short tube, then 6 more on the long tube, then plug welds.

Teraflex says to drain the pumpkin and remove the carrier. That's gonna be a PITA. Synergy says you don't have to drain/remove but just be careful and vacuum out the metal drilled shavings. I guess some sleeves come with the ends knurled so you don't have to do any welding. The Teraflex sleeves unfortunately aren't knurled. Wish I would have known earlier and bought the Nitros.

Both sleeves are sitting in dry ice right now...

** Decided that I'm going to skip the plug welds for now and will just mark/monitor to see if the sleeve rotates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-20 at 9.35.21 AM.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	592920

Last edited by DJ1; 01-20-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Drilling and plug welding isn't that big of a deal
Old 01-20-2015, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Drilling and plug welding isn't that big of a deal
I need to add. It just takes time. And if your on a time crunch it may not be doable
Old 01-20-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I need to add. It just takes time. And if your on a time crunch it may not be doable
x2 seeing you're trying to get out by a certain time frame,i'd pass on that one for next time.I've seen those weld in's before might be a all day job.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by familytime
x2 seeing you're trying to get out by a certain time frame,i'd pass on that one for next time.I've seen those weld in's before might be a all day job.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I might not have the time. I thought all axle sleeves were just hammer in and be done with it; quick 30 mins - 1hr worse case install especially on dry ice.

I have read across the interwebs that some have gotten away without doing all of the plug welds and just do 2 or 3 on each tube along with the lip weld to the tube at the inner c. Then I guess if I felt it needed it, I could do the other 6-10 plug welds some other time.

Time wise, I'll have a better idea come tomorrow / Thursday since the NVA (national volleyball association) hasn't even figured out where the dang tournament is going to be held yet. If it's all the way out in Sac-town, then I'm staying local and will have the whole day.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

I can lend a hand. Actually more like moral support because I've never attempted this type of fab work before but it'd be interesting to see how it's done. I have tools if anyone needs anything and Spinuck im experienced on a tire balancer if you need help with that.

Quick Reply: Who's up for a ball joint install party?