Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

4" Lift Question.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Lift Question.

Hey all,

I've read a lot of differing opinions about lifting my 2016 Rubicon 4". Some have said this lift kit is good, has all I need, etc ... some are saying it'll destroy my driveshafts, need new drivelines ... those more experienced, can you provide your thoughts on this kit? My plan is this 4" Old Man Emu kit and 35" BFG KM2s.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_0300_07.htm

To me, it looks like it has everything I need?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 PM
JK Junkie

Not a bad kit theres things i would do different. For 1 scrap the cam bolts for control arms.

Ome uses different rate coils, i would worry that kit would set you at over 5" of lift.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need to change front driveshafts or put spacers in the exhaust if you are gonna go off-road. Longer brake lines are a real plus too. I have not heard any good about the cam bolts either.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Way more lift then you need for 35's. Keep it simple and stay around 2" and you will be better off. I would agree with above that you should expect more like 5" out of the OME coils unless you have a real heavy jeep. At that height you should be looking at a full set of control arms, drag link flip, driveshafts, and brake lines.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 03-21-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take a look at 2.5" lift from MetalCloak or Rock Krawler. Give this a listen for a bunch of info on doing the MetalCloak install

Northwest Jeepcast: 2017 JKU Metalcloak Game Changer installation

For only 35" tires you only need a 2.5" lift. How much off-roading will you be doing. It can be cheap to lift a jeep, but put a little investment into the lift and it'll ride better than stock.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

A 4" lift on a 2 door is quite a bit. I'm betting you'd need to at mimimum replace the rear driveshaft and probably either do the Rzeppa joint conversion or replace the front driveshaft too. Like others have said, you'll need the exhaust mod/crossover if you plan to wheel it. I'd recommend different rear control arms too to recenter the axle in the wheel well, otherwise you'll have to cut a lot more of the rubi rail and wheel well. Are you planning to run stock fender flares, cut them or buy aftermarket flares? If you cut or buy aftermarket you could easily do a 2.5" lift and clear 35's. Just for reference. My 2 door is on 2.5" Metalcloak springs, cut stock fenders and I run 37's. I'm a fan of the low lift/big tire look though.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mdash
A 4" lift on a 2 door is quite a bit. I'm betting you'd need to at mimimum replace the rear driveshaft and probably either do the Rzeppa joint conversion or replace the front driveshaft too. Like others have said, you'll need the exhaust mod/crossover if you plan to wheel it. I'd recommend different rear control arms too to recenter the axle in the wheel well, otherwise you'll have to cut a lot more of the rubi rail and wheel well. Are you planning to run stock fender flares, cut them or buy aftermarket flares? If you cut or buy aftermarket you could easily do a 2.5" lift and clear 35's. Just for reference. My 2 door is on 2.5" Metalcloak springs, cut stock fenders and I run 37's. I'm a fan of the low lift/big tire look though.
Thanks for all of the great info and tips! I planned on running stock flares for now - likely aftermarket at some point. I've been doing some research on various lifts on this forum (tons of great info!) and it seems people are back and forth on whether or not the driveshaft needs to be replaced. I know it will wear prematurely with the more extreme angle for sure - so if I don't replace it now, it'll have to be done some point in the near future. I purchased the Teraflex exhaust spacer kit, which I think will get me by in the short-term. The long-term plan is to replace the driveshafts, control arms, flares and bumpers - but I wanted to start with the lift first. I don't do any extreme wheeling yet - but I eventually plan to once I get the build up to where it needs to be. I'm going for the "do as much as I can afford" build process in steps. I may even re-gear it - I think the Rubi comes with 4.10 stock (mine is automatic)?

Again, I really appreciate the willingness to help a new guy like myself. Very helpful and much appreciated.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:35 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malaki0612
I'm going for the "do as much as I can afford" build process in steps. I may even re-gear it - I think the Rubi comes with 4.10 stock (mine is automatic)?

You can get by with the 4.10's. Hell I've been running 35's and 37 sized tires on 3.73 gears for almost the last 4.5 years and am just now regearing to 4.88. Just gusset your C's on your front axle if anything. You'll be fine for awhile.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
You can get by with the 4.10's. Hell I've been running 35's and 37 sized tires on 3.73 gears for almost the last 4.5 years and am just now regearing to 4.88. Just gusset your C's on your front axle if anything. You'll be fine for awhile.

Good info - thank you!

Quick Reply: 4" Lift Question.