Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Snow wheeling this year.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a great couple of trips there! Anyone planning a late season run by any chance? Havent had time to get out and do any trips this year yet.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronin2120
Awesome run!!! Great trip report as usual.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by ThirteenthCurve
Looks like a great couple of trips there! Anyone planning a late season run by any chance? Havent had time to get out and do any trips this year yet.
Thanks. With the amount of snow we've received this year, I suspect snow runs will be happening at least through April.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for sharing - great pictures and nice Jeep's! Really like the 2 door Rubi. I am putting on my lift this weekend, but we are trying to head back up to the Bagby Springs area again. We've been trying to help locate that lost Husky and I want to get back up there to check on the trailcam. Last time we went up there, we took my wife's 2016 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and it did fine, but the backup from people getting stuck and trying to turn around was challenging. We haven't been back up since, but the Cascade's have been getting hammered with snow even while we are getting rain down here.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Bagby Springs, is that Oregon? I haven't heard about a lost Husky. That sucks. I hate hearing about dogs getting lost or hurt.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mdash
Bagby Springs, is that Oregon? I haven't heard about a lost Husky. That sucks. I hate hearing about dogs getting lost or hurt.
Yep - it's up on Mt. Hood. The terrain is just logging roads, but when we went up there last, a bunch of people in their 2 door sedans were trying to make it up. Just the backup of them either getting stuck or trying to turn around made it unbearable. The poor pup that is lost is 16 years old and deaf. I'm a HUGE dog person, so it breaks my heart to hear stuff like that.

On a side note, my wife has had her new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk for just over a month now and I'm pretty impressed. The quadra-lift system, while probably overkill, has already come in handy when loading our older lab. It seems pretty capable on its own, but I'm not sure if I'd ever take it out wheeling to have fun. Right now it serves as the most convenient way to haul our 3 dogs out to go hiking. I wish there were a lift or any aftermarket parts, really - not much out there. Once I finish the lift on my 2016 Rubicon, I plan to take the wheels/tires from the Rubi and throw them on the Trailhawk. From everything I'm reading, it sounds like a straight swap. I've seen a few pictures of folks doing that and it looks pretty good.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Nearing the end of snow wheeling season

Took another trip up to Colockum Road on Saturday. The difference in snow conditions was pretty amazing. There has been a couple feet of snow melt since 3 weeks ago. The snow was decent though, packed relatively decent and you could crawl it pretty well. Any heavy throttle input and you'd just bury yourself. A couple areas had a lot of water below the snow so it was easy to drop through and get stuck if you weren't paying attention. We had one part failure on the day. Apparently 40's on stock D44 axle shafts doesn't work... who knew?! Anyway, here aer the pic's. I didn't take a lot so I stole a few from the other guys who did.
Navigating our way through the trees was sometimes tough. If it weren't for Amy on the GPS we'd probably still be up there.

Once up on top it was a gorgeous day. Breeze (my dog) is taking a break here from the jeep. She loved to get out and just sniff the air. Lots of new smells for her.

Running along under the power lines.

Spent about an hour making Mike mobile again. He spent the rest of the day in 3 wheel drive.

Oh the views.

Jeremy was unstoppable on the 42's. What's the term, can't loose with 42's?

One of those holes swallowed up Gary.

The sunset was absolutely amazing.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, I miss Washington... Florida sucks.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah, probably not much opportunity to snow wheel in Florida. Our snow season is slowly melting away. I'm not sure I'll get a chance to go again this year. Hopefully I can squeeze in one more east side run.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone want to go out in the snow on Sunday, east side of Snoqualmie Pass probably? Got lots of snow experience, lockers, and beadlocks

Quick Reply: Snow wheeling this year.