Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Trucklite request

Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdash
I'm no light expert so whether it had hotspots or not I couldn't really tell you. What I do know... while sitting in the driver or passenger seat looking out the windshield while driving down the road, I felt the Petersons had a brighter, more even spread across the road and I felt I could see farther down the road as well. So if the Petersons have a hotspot and it's bad to the "professionals" then I disagree with them and the hotspot is in the perfect place. On another note, The whole argument of whether a light bar is necessity or "counter productive" is pretty stupid. What "mod" on our jeep IS a necessity. Most people install them because they can.... or because they like the look..... or they do 100mph across the desert at night. Who bloody cares!! If anyone has that argument then you're just a douche bag and don't belong in a Jeep. Go buy an FJ or a Corvette or something. PS. I do not have a light bar either.
Haha: talking to manufacturer specific fan boys is like talking to a wall. I bought the Peterson's because they were a new product, I liked the design, light output, great warranty, made in the USA and affordable. I'm not going to say one is better than the other. Seems like a lot of biased opinions here that don't have experience with the other. This is a truck light question thread so I won't say anymore, just wanted to give Doug another option so that he was aware that TL's weren't the only fish in the sea when it comes to LED head lights.

Last edited by Grenadeacorn; 08-14-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdash
..... The whole argument of whether a light bar is necessity or "counter productive" is pretty stupid.
Re-read my post... you made a salad out of it.

I said the exact opposite: A lightbar is the best position for offroad lights, because it places them above eye level.
"counter productive" referred to too much light on a lightbar, for relatively slow offroading.

What "mod" on our jeep IS a necessity.
The Jeep itself is not a "necessity"...
Many of the available mods improve offroad capabilities.
For those who offroad at night, or happen to stay late and offroad in the dark, the headlights may not shed enough light where its needed.

Most people install them because they can.... or because they like the look..... or they do 100mph across the desert at night. Who bloody cares!! If anyone has that argument then you're just a douche bag and don't belong in a Jeep. Go buy an FJ or a Corvette or something.
PS. I do not have a light bar either.
I don't care what "most people" do. I bought a Jeep because I wanted a Jeep and I like offroading.
I installed 35"s and lift because they allow me to get more out of the Jeep, and not because of what some neighbor would say.
I am going to install a lightbar, because it will allow placing some lights at an optimal location. I've postponed adding lights because the TruckLites' nice, wide & even light spread have been all I need for offroading, 95% of the time.

A few lights, rather than a long one, allow aiming them so the light is exactly where I want it.
"most people" may do whatever they want with their Jeeps for whatever reasons.
For me, the mods are functional, from improving offroad capabilities, to minimizing the chances to get stuck, to recovery, to plain conveniences like equipment drawers at the back or better cabin lights, etc'.
Seeing where one is going is a functional mod. On narrow twisting trails, barely wide enough for the Jeep, a few properly aimed floods on a lightbar -- which aren't strong enough to impair night vision -- are priceless.
With half a tread in the air over a cliff in the desert, good functional lighting is priceless.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-16-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry seabass for hijacking your thread. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Originally Posted by GJeep
Re-read my post... you made a salad out of it.
Honestly, I re-read your posts and I'm still not sure what you are saying. One post you say you wanted a lightbar but you got trucklites so you don't need them, then you like them because of the position, then they are counter productive cause they're too bright and now you want one again. I'm confused and I'll just leave it at that. It's not really that important anyway. I've got nothing to prove and neither do you. So we're good and I'm tired.

On a lighter note. I just put a set of 5x7 square Trucklites in a customers Trans Am. They look pretty good. Haven't tried them on at night yet but I'm hopeful the customer will be happy.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem mdash - you should try reading his suspension posts...even more confusing :-) I'm really leaning towards Petersons,.. I just need to get my butt I out of bed early enough to check out grenadeacorns one morning. Mule is going be carrying them soon and I really like the couple that run it. Seem like great people so I want to support them where I can.

Last edited by sea bass; 08-19-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

That's awesome seabass, Joe and Danna are good peoples and they are putting together a pretty nice little shop.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Location: 2nd star to the right, and straight on 'til morning

I have JW Speakers and I am happy with them.

I'm kinda amazed at how much the stock headlights suck.
Its 2014 right?

I live in south king county near maple valley if your interested.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

I really like the pattern of the jw speakers but they're a little out of my price range. I did swing into mule this morning and Dana showed me a new light that I've never seen. It looks like a cross between jw speakers and petersons. I'm very curious about this light. They're supposed to have some sort of shootout soon with there lights
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2128590397.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	572561  
Old 08-22-2014, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sea bass
I really like the pattern of the jw speakers but they're a little out of my price range. I did swing into mule this morning and Dana showed me a new light that I've never seen. It looks like a cross between jw speakers and petersons. I'm very curious about this light. They're supposed to have some sort of shootout soon with there lights
Planning on trying one of each in my jeep. Will provide pictures for comparison.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Ok - bit bullet and picked up the petersons from mule tonight. I stopped in because they were having a micro-overland exhibit and I wanted to check out some of the trailers and tents.
Anyhow - they got their shipment of petersons in yesterday so I was stoked. I was thinking about the pilots but they're just too new, made in Taiwan, and couldn't find out any info regarding their warranty. With the price of the damn anti-flicker harnesses you have to buy for the Peterson's, they were about the same price.

I'll post some pics later. Gonna set up the dslr and tripod for some night comparisons.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 PM
JK Freak

First pic is low beam comparison - then high beam comparison. They illuminate the front of jeep much better than stock, can barely tell when fogs are on.

DSLR set on manual and on tripod.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1842384430.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	572697   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-158518121.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	572698  

Quick Reply: Trucklite request