Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Washington Back Country Discovery Route

Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Totally possible that I can do this. The dates matter, of course.

Any opinions about whether this would be motels/restaurants or camping or some of both?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry i haven't been on jkforum for a while!

I didn't know this thread was getting so popular!! I've just been busy at work and stuff. So far the information I gathered is that there are a lot of people trying to make it out. I'm thinking I may not be able to hit it this year. Depends on how July and August work out for me. I have to get time off, plus save up some coin cuz i'm not on salary yet. After june I'll have more money incoming for mods and stuff, so that won't be a problem. But for now, it looks like September might just work out.

As for overnighting, I THINK from the information I got, you find a place on the trail and camp out each day. I also think there's a few pull offs along the whole trail for people who aren't going to make the entire trail. My information is mostly word of mouth, and reading the website, so correct me if i'm wrong

Tentatively i'm going to say late September as a target date. Even thinking the first week of October. Let me know what you guys think and we can try to get everyone in on this as much as we can. And I'll try to stay on top of this as well. If anyone finds out anymore information on the trail, please post it! Let's all learn about it together and figure this out!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Timing sounds good for me. Just let me know as things firm up. I'm still thinking of doing it but need to kit out my Jeep a bit more... It's a good excuse to get more of the mods done I have been putting off.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The routes have been there a long time. This is just a real nice way of linking them together, and packaging it for sale as well. I've no problem with that.

Haven't been over every single mile of this route, but much of it, particularly in the center and north sections. Stock 4x4 pickup truck, and stock Suzuki V-Strom, no problem. Parts of the route that I've traveled are of course MUCH more difficult if there is snow, or if there has been a lot of rain or snow melt turning sections of it to gooey mud. Other than that - it's not tough. Much of the route is on Forest Service roads, which were originally built as logging and/or mining roads and are pretty good. Yes, there are some tight spots and brushy places.

If you've got a mechanically sound 4wd Jeep, you've got plenty of vehicle.

Is it beautiful and interesting? You bet!

I like the way they've broken it down into bite-size sections, if someone doesn't have the time to do the entire route - just parts can be done. Also, when I've been on it, I've generally had something else in mind, like fishing some lake or stream, or hiking somewhere. There are some amazing side-trips which can be made from the basic route.

Starting in August, with bear season, anticipate bumping into some hunters. By September and October, there will be quite a few. Just FYI, and yeah, I'm one of them.

It is a good route, very scenic. If you're looking for some real challenging 4-wheel drive trail, this isn't it.

CW

Last edited by Cascade Wanderer; 07-29-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cascade Wanderer, great info! This should be perfect. Just looking for a good excuse to get the Jeep into the back country and see some sights. Did you go on a multi-day trip? If so, what are some of the staples you'd recommend bringing along for that time of year? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Bug juice to keep the biting hordes away! Sometimes the skeeters get pretty thick - seems worse than normal this year, likely due to the long, wet spring and recently melted snow pack. They're gone after the first good freeze.

Plenty of cool drinking water, the bare slopes with southern exposure often have very little in the way of forest & shade. Some places there are few sources of good water. I haul 5 gallons with me. Worthwhile.

It's up in the mountains. Be prepared for summer thunderstorms, even in July & August. Rain and even hail is a good possibility along with serious lightning. One year I was wheeling up in the Blewett Pass area in early July, and ran into a pretty good snowstorm at about 6,000' - brief, but enough to cover the dirt road in snow for a while.

I just camp in a tent. When I'm treating myself to luxury, it's a big 12' x 12' dome tent and a cot. Otherwise my little backpacking tent suffices. Tent should have good mosquito netting at the doors & windows.

Map. Even in this era of GPS & smart phones, I like a good map. USFS sells good maps of the Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests, with the dirt roads pretty well marked. Some are gated, closed most or all of the time. Those roads closed to motor vehicles often make great mountain bike or hiking routes.

Got my 4x4 pickup stuck once - didn't see how big a dip there was at the edge of the road and the right front tire plunged into it. The rear limited slip was pretty well worn out at that point. There I was, on a road that didn't look bad at all, with the right front and left rear spinning uselessly. A session with the high-lift jack and shovel had me out. A winch would have been handy as would a good limited slip or locker... Sheesh. Drove my Jeep past that same spot not long ago, completely without drama. The truck was wide enough that I inadvertently put the right front in that hole. The JK is small enough to just drive around it. Besides, there's a lot of rocks and logs crammed into that hole now, some by me, and others have added to it over the years.

If you're going when there's likely to be snow, tire chains are a huge help. I had to chain up front and rear on the pickup once to go get my son's stuck, ahem, Jeep out of the snow on part of the route up near Sugarloaf.

Basic 4wd & camping stuff is great. Nothing real dramatic.

I have run into a few black bears while camping, fishing and driving through the area. They wanted nothing to do with us and left in a hurry.

Early in the season, somebody in the group should have a good saw in case there's a downed tree across the road. Just thought of that, and have run into it more than once up there.

Regards, CW

Last edited by Cascade Wanderer; 07-29-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cascade Wanderer
Bug juice to keep the biting hordes away! Sometimes the skeeters get pretty thick - seems worse than normal this year, likely due to the long, wet spring and recently melted snow pack. They're gone after the first good freeze.

Plenty of cool drinking water, the bare slopes with southern exposure often have very little in the way of forest & shade. Some places there are few sources of good water. I haul 5 gallons with me. Worthwhile.

It's up in the mountains. Be prepared for summer thunderstorms, even in July & August. Rain and even hail is a good possibility along with serious lightning. One year I was wheeling up in the Blewett Pass area in early July, and ran into a pretty good snowstorm at about 6,000' - brief, but enough to cover the dirt road in snow for a while.

I just camp in a tent. When I'm treating myself to luxury, it's a big 12' x 12' dome tent and a cot. Otherwise my little backpacking tent suffices. Tent should have good mosquito netting at the doors & windows.

Map. Even in this era of GPS & smart phones, I like a good map. USFS sells good maps of the Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests, with the dirt roads pretty well marked. Some are gated, closed most or all of the time. Those roads closed to motor vehicles often make great mountain bike or hiking routes.

Got my 4x4 pickup stuck once - didn't see how big a dip there was at the edge of the road and the right front tire plunged into it. The rear limited slip was pretty well worn out at that point. There I was, on a road that didn't look bad at all, with the right front and left rear spinning uselessly. A session with the high-lift jack and shovel had me out. A winch would have been handy as would a good limited slip or locker... Sheesh. Drove my Jeep past that same spot not long ago, completely without drama. The truck was wide enough that I inadvertently put the right front in that hole. The JK is small enough to just drive around it. Besides, there's a lot of rocks and logs crammed into that hole now, some by me, and others have added to it over the years.

If you're going when there's likely to be snow, tire chains are a huge help. I had to chain up front and rear on the pickup once to go get my son's stuck, ahem, Jeep out of the snow on part of the route up near Sugarloaf.

Basic 4wd & camping stuff is great. Nothing real dramatic.

I have run into a few black bears while camping, fishing and driving through the area. They wanted nothing to do with us and left in a hurry.

Early in the season, somebody in the group should have a good saw in case there's a downed tree across the road. Just thought of that, and have run into it more than once up there.

Regards, CW

That sounds awesome! I may be able to go for an extended weekend. That is, either adding a Friday or a Monday if on the second half of the month.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick

That sounds awesome! I may be able to go for an extended weekend. That is, either adding a Friday or a Monday if on the second half of the month.
X2... If we can hammer out the dates, I'll take leave for this..
Old 07-29-2012, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah, let's get some dates set and get 'er done.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok ladies and gents! So for what I have in mind, is September 30th, thru October 6th. I still have to put in the dates with my CEO, and tell me crew that i'll be gone, but i wanted to get set dates first. What does everyone think on these?

We should probably meet up down in Oregon, and drive up, or if ya'll wanna meet up north and then go south? Orrrrr we could do half of it, and run up or down, or whatever! Either way I absolutely want to do this. Everyone's input is needed here. I wanna get as many people as we can, that way i think it would be the most fun.

Time is quickly approaching! Let's hash out the details and get this organized!

Quick Reply: Washington Back Country Discovery Route