JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Radiator Drain (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/radiator-drain-171189/)

bhandaman 03-30-2011 05:35 PM

Radiator Drain

How the hell do you get fluid to drain from the radiator drain. I have turned the knob 1/4 turn clockwise and no fluid is draining out... What the f*** am I doing wrong. :mad:

txjeeplover 03-30-2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by bhandaman (Post 2197546)
How the hell do you get fluid to drain from the radiator drain. I have turned the knob 1/4 turn clockwise and no fluid is draining out... What the f*** am I doing wrong. :mad:

With a cool engine, I've always found it easier to just loosen the lower radiator hose and slip it off. I've had issues in the past with drain cocks becoming clogged while draining, cross-threaded while re-inserting, or o-rings walking off. Taking the lower hose off just does the job faster.

If you're determined to get the drain cock open, hopefully someone else will have some sage wisdom on opening it properly without damaging the radiator or the drain cock.

Jiblet 03-31-2011 04:12 AM

did you open the cap so the fluid can flow without creating vacuum?

You may have some grit built up blocking the drain. Maybe poke a zip tie in.

BTW, anyone know the direction of flow of the coolant when engine is running? is it still in at the top of the radiator and out at the bottom?

rumnreggae 03-31-2011 05:53 PM

I just replaced my water pump at 85K and the removal of the lower hose worked best for me.

StrokeHerAce 03-31-2011 05:56 PM

The only thing those drains have ever done for me is leak once touched. I take off the lower hose after I siphon out what I can from the top.

bhandaman 03-31-2011 06:47 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the reply's... I honestly believe it would be easier to shoot a hole in the radiator and patch that then to actually drain it using the drain plug. First of all no human hand can reach the plug knob so I had to use a pair of needle nose plyers and contort my hand to try to turn it. This took about 15 minutes. Then, once I got it turned... nothing happenend, so I tried running a piece of wire up there to no avail. The only way to really reach the plug is to remove the bumper. So, let me congradulate the engineers and designers at Daimer Chrysler for their excellent design. Now, stick it up your arse.

I pulled the hose and drained it that way. What crap!

Jiblet 03-31-2011 08:02 PM

bump......

Originally Posted by Jiblet (Post 2198506)
BTW, anyone know the direction of flow of the coolant when engine is running? is it still in at the top of the radiator and out at the bottom?

07Ruby 12-12-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jiblet
bump......

Bump again.
Refilling coolant after lower manifold gasket change.

teamjeep 07-15-2016 10:13 AM

Same issue here, what's the point of the damn thing if it won't drain? Turning, pulling out, wire up the hole, NOTHING WORKS!!! Guess I have to try the hose. Such a simple process made impossible...:mad::drunk::cursing: Wish I had a garage....and maybe even a paved driveway...

shabbernigdo 07-15-2016 10:20 AM

you have to twist and pull it out at the same time. i got mine to drain but it just pissed all over. the guy who decided on that drain design should be shot in the d.