JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   TPMS replacement with tire change? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/tpms-replacement-tire-change-80678/)

piaa_nissan 04-06-2009 06:34 PM

TPMS replacement with tire change?

Hoping theres a tire guru here-I recently found a bulge in the stock 4k mile BFG KM's and took it to Americas tire for warranty replacement. They said I would have to pay for a whole tire warranty plus labor and then drop the fact they will need to "rebuild" the TPMS sensor. Has anyone heard of this before? Seems to me an upsell as I dont belive they charge this for my van at work.

Offroadme 04-06-2009 06:41 PM

i have not heard of anyone having to "rebuild" a tire sensor i don't think you can rebuild it. it's encased in a rubber acrylic.

pastorsteve 04-06-2009 07:30 PM

If the sensor is working - it's working. I would tell them no and to mount the new tire with the properly working sensor like it is. The only thing I know of that needs to be done with them is replace the battery on one's where that's possible, or replace the whole thing. If in doubt check with your Jeep dealer to see if there is anything that could be done on a "rebuild".

Yoda 04-07-2009 03:58 AM

It smells B.S. :nuts:

n6on 04-07-2009 07:17 AM

Actually there is a "Service Kit" available for about $4.

"Service kits include sealing components such as caps, cores, grommets and nuts. OEM specifications call for these components to be replaced every time tires and rims on TPMS equipped vehicles are serviced."

Bob

riverzendz 04-07-2009 07:46 AM

It is recommended that the sensors be rebuilt with every tire change, especially if moving wheels.

The kits are cheap. I got them free when I got my tires but never used them. My TPMS sensors have been used on 3 different sets of wheels and 3 tire changes. They work just fine.

Nick-NY 04-07-2009 08:21 AM

if the cap for the valve is missing water and dirt will get in causing the valve core to seize, if the valve seizes the valve stem can be replaced but the sensor reused. (from what i've seen on BMW's TPM. )

nthinuf 04-07-2009 08:43 AM

Or you could go the other route. Pull the other 4 sensors out, get a ProCal, and just turn the system off.

Offroadme 04-07-2009 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by nthinuf (Post 1047918)
Or you could go the other route. Pull the other 4 sensors out, get a ProCal, and just turn the system off.

i agree. you will know when your tires are low on air i was never a fan of the sensors had them in my gmc and they were always on in the mornings when it was cool and then would turn off in the afternoon when everything heated up it's started to get annoying.

nthinuf 04-07-2009 09:05 AM

Only problem is that I don't know the 'legality' of this, so I am hanging on to the sensors instead of selling them. (just might find that I need them for some future inspection or something)

Anyway, they break fairly easily, and get expensive to keep replacing, so I am much happier with them turned off.