JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Grinding Sound at Startup when cold (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/grinding-sound-startup-when-cold-254435/)

db09JKU 11-16-2012 09:48 AM

When sitting over night and it is cold, 30's, I get a grinding or like a dry bearing noise when I first start up. It only lasts a second and there is no abnormal engine sounds when running. It starts fine with no noise after that, and the rest of the day or when it warms up. It sounds like it is from one of the belt pullys or something. Starter? Bad pully?

Any thoughts? TIA

scamp_71 11-16-2012 10:04 AM

Mine does this too and from my research it seems this is a fairly common issue. There are a number of threads on this and I have yet to find a definitive answer as to what is causing it. Just chalkin' it up to "it's a Jeep". :crazyeyes:

Jiblet 11-16-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by db09JKU (Post 3298637)
When sitting over night and it is cold, 30's, I get a grinding or like a dry bearing noise when I first start up. It only lasts a second and there is no abnormal engine sounds when running. It starts fine with no noise after that, and the rest of the day or when it warms up. It sounds like it is from one of the belt pullys or something. Starter? Bad pully?

Any thoughts? TIA

There is some concern about the AC compressors grinding on start up. Make sure your AC button is not turned on and make sure your mode selector is not pointing to (or partially to) either of the defroster settings.

An old issue folks had was with the Power Steering pump grinding.

And, of course, we can't leave the possibility of a bad anti-drainback valve in your oil filter. Before starting, let all the lights cycle, then watch for the red oilcan (low pressure) warning light to momentarily flash when you start the engine.

db09JKU 11-16-2012 10:15 AM

I just changed the oil and it did it a few times before and after, so I hope I can mark that one off the list.

Ncb 11-16-2012 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by db09JKU
I just changed the oil and it did it a few times before and after, so I hope I can mark that one off the list.

What brand oil filter?

db09JKU 11-16-2012 03:32 PM

Fram Tough Guard. Been using them since I bought in 09. Not saying it is not the issue but I haven't had issues thus far.

miner 11-16-2012 06:33 PM

maybe starter not disengaging quickly enough. had that prob on chevy avalanche, jeep seems to do it too. Cold stiff grease on moving parts can be like glue.

mshahwan 11-21-2012 06:36 PM

Im having the same issue. We're in the deep freeze here 6 months out of the year. Had an 2009 jk with no ac. Never did it. now with the 2010 rubicon, it does it like clock work. Time to resolve the issue once and for all. Any suggestions on what can ben change to prevent the ac compressor from grinding?

Also are the oem mopar oil filters that shitty?

Kojack 11-22-2012 03:42 AM

Mine does it, don't care....after like 1 sec it stops....big deal.

Noxian 11-22-2012 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jiblet (Post 3298671)
There is some concern about the AC compressors grinding on start up. Make sure your AC button is not turned on and make sure your mode selector is not pointing to (or partially to) either of the defroster settings.

An old issue folks had was with the Power Steering pump grinding.

And, of course, we can't leave the possibility of a bad anti-drainback valve in your oil filter. Before starting, let all the lights cycle, then watch for the red oilcan (low pressure) warning light to momentarily flash when you start the engine.

Interesting, i have auto climate control, i am going to make sure its completely off next time I start my jeep and see how that goes