JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Heater Core bad on new 2012 JKU (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/heater-core-bad-new-2012-jku-252498/)

Jolly's Jp 10-27-2012 08:10 AM

Heater Core bad on new 2012 JKU

Well, it happened about 2 weeks ago. I was cruising to work and turned on the heat in the Jeep...only blew cool air from the drivers side. With this being my 4th Jeep, all have had great heaters with the exception of this one.

I took it to the dealership and after 5 hours, they came in and told me it was going to require a new heater core...OH NO! I came home and searched the forums and found that it is somewhat a common problem with the 2010 and up JKs. It took the dealer a few days to get the part in and for me to schedule some time off from work since the nearest dealership that I trust is 40 minutes away (new one being built in town :) ).

This is where things go wrong. I dropped it off at the dealer on Wednesday and was supposed to pick it up this Friday. I dropped by and the Jeep is in pieces. The upper intake manifold, battery tray, front dash, and center console are all out of the Jeep. Evidently, the tech had a accident while working on the problem and got a concusion (didn't ask what happened). Needless to say, wasn't very happy...on top of all of this, both front tires were completely deflated. When asked about the tires, the service manager said that it was common practice so they have easy reach to the engine bay. Not fighting the issue right now but will see when everything is done. I also made them pick up the tab on a rental car since everything was not done in a timely manner.

I don't know about how anyone else feels about seeing their Jeep in pieces but I felt totally violated. Of course I do most of my modifications but when I do it...I take my time and know that it was done right. I wish that I had the same feeling on how this is going to turn out. We will see in the end.

okay...rant off...just needed to get that one out.

Kevin

Spank 10-27-2012 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jolly's Jp (Post 3272087)
Needless to say, wasn't very happy...on top of all of this, both front tires were completely deflated. When asked about the tires, the service manager said that it was common practice so they have easy reach to the engine bay.

What the fudge? Did they drain the headlight fluid while they were at it, too? I think you need to have a sit down with someone in charge, then find yourself a new dealership.

None of this is surprising, though.

blackstang3o2 10-27-2012 11:46 AM

letting the air out of the front tires is a very common practice. It makes working in the engine bay a lot easier. Simply put air back in the tires when complete and good to go. This has been done for decades.

bignose13 11-03-2012 07:36 PM

did the new heater core fix the problem?

Well, it happened about 2 weeks ago. I was cruising to work and turned on the heat in the Jeep...only blew cool air from the drivers side. With this being my 4th Jeep, all have had great heaters with the exception of this one.

I took it to the dealership and after 5 hours, they came in and told me it was going to require a new heater core...OH NO! I came home and searched the forums and found that it is somewhat a common problem with the 2010 and up JKs. It took the dealer a few days to get the part in and for me to schedule some time off from work since the nearest dealership that I trust is 40 minutes away (new one being built in town :) ).

This is where things go wrong. I dropped it off at the dealer on Wednesday and was supposed to pick it up this Friday. I dropped by and the Jeep is in pieces. The upper intake manifold, battery tray, front dash, and center console are all out of the Jeep. Evidently, the tech had a accident while working on the problem and got a concusion (didn't ask what happened). Needless to say, wasn't very happy...on top of all of this, both front tires were completely deflated. When asked about the tires, the service manager said that it was common practice so they have easy reach to the engine bay. Not fighting the issue right now but will see when everything is done. I also made them pick up the tab on a rental car since everything was not done in a timely manner.

I don't know about how anyone else feels about seeing their Jeep in pieces but I felt totally violated. Of course I do most of my modifications but when I do it...I take my time and know that it was done right. I wish that I had the same feeling on how this is going to turn out. We will see in the end.

Kevin

Jolly's Jp 11-03-2012 08:41 PM

Yes...the heater core fixed the problem. It now blows heat like a Jeep should. I just need to go in and burp the system to get rid of the water fall sound. I may just go ahead and flush the coolant since it looks bad for the miles that it has. I hear Jeep didn't use the best stuff to start with.

bignose13 11-03-2012 09:01 PM

yep i gotta burp mine too..

Originally Posted by Jolly's Jp (Post 3282182)
Yes...the heater core fixed the problem. It now blows heat like a Jeep should. I just need to go in and burp the system to get rid of the water fall sound. I may just go ahead and flush the coolant since it looks bad for the miles that it has. I hear Jeep didn't use the best stuff to start with.

Nish36 11-03-2012 09:14 PM

My brother's 12's heater core also went out, less then 6000 miles, 100% stock.

bignose13 11-04-2012 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nish36 (Post 3282208)
My brother's 12's heater core also went out, less then 6000 miles, 100% stock.

At least they are consistent :doh:

egeli 11-04-2012 06:23 PM

The heater in my '12 just went out yesterday I have 18k miles. It blows cols air in all the vents no matter where you set it to come out. I don't
think that the heater core is plugged because both of the lines next to the hvac box is very hot. I noticed that when I start the jeep the rear
defroster light blinks for 30 sec the the fan comes on to where ever I last left it. So i going to bring it to the dealer.

jkmadness 12-16-2012 01:37 PM

Kevin

F... me I think I have the same problem..this sucks