JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   4HI or 4LOW in snow? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/4hi-4low-snow-152199/)

smuhhh 11-20-2010 05:16 PM

4HI or 4LOW in snow?

This is only the second winter I have had my Jeep so I haven't done much snow driving. It snowed here last night so I went for a cruise first thing this morning. I live in an area with a lot of steep roads and figured 4LOW would be the way to go, but I found myself spinning too much. Just curious what the best way to drive in fresh snow is? Thanks!

jcs07jk 11-20-2010 05:22 PM

I would say 4 high, 4 low gets you a lot of torque to the wheels making it a little easier to lose traction on start. You could try putting it into 2 so it has less torque on start but really. You shouldn't be on road in 4l anyway I think they say top speed is
25mph

Ghost63 11-20-2010 05:27 PM

4 Hi and a smooth clutch action will keep you from spinning.

CDN-JK 11-20-2010 05:28 PM

Living in Northern Ontario, I have had more than my fair share of snow. Just note that I have only previously driven a Chevy pickup (6 cyl) in the winter though.

I only ran 4 HIGH in the snow for 2 reasons. You need to keep those tires spinning, and if you get going too fast (2nd gear - 3rd gear) 4 LO will become a bad idea.

Secondly, when driving in the snow, I haven't found the need for lower gearing as the tires are usually always spinning anyways. You will have more than enough guts in 4 HIGH for bombin' around in the snow IMO.

Hope this helps, and on a side note, if any other advice is contradictory to mine, i'm not here to be 100% correct, just giving my advice based on previous experience.

:thumbsup:

ronjenx 11-20-2010 05:43 PM

4hi has gotten me to work through many winters here in Maine, even on un-plowed roads. I've had 4wd since the '70s, and always look forward to the nor'easters.

RevyJKU08 11-20-2010 06:00 PM

4hi has never failed me in the snow on pavement and gravel roads. The only time I use 4Lo with snow is if I am on a wheeling trail or need to crawl down steeper slopes on FSR roads/off-road trails (NOT highways or pavement).

Roos85 11-20-2010 06:22 PM

4hi never failed me in my old bronco. This is my first year with the JK so this winter will be interesting. I can not wail til it snows. Should be fun

benny 11-20-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by CDN-JK (Post 1947119)
Hope this helps, and on a side note, if any other advice is contradictory to mine, i'm not here to be 100% correct, just giving my advice based on previous experience.

:thumbsup:

Well I'm here to be 100% correct,........unfortunatly this only happens 50% of the time.:thinking:........:beer:

gijeep 11-20-2010 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by smuhhh (Post 1947084)
This is only the second winter I have had my Jeep so I haven't done much snow driving. It snowed here last night so I went for a cruise first thing this morning. I live in an area with a lot of steep roads and figured 4LOW would be the way to go, but I found myself spinning too much. Just curious what the best way to drive in fresh snow is? Thanks!

4 low is too "low" of a gear for slick fresh snow... i would do reg 4wd with some snow traction tires... its all about the tires... you can get around just fine with 2wd with snow and good tires.

smuhhh 11-21-2010 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by benny (Post 1947347)
Well I'm here to be 100% correct,........unfortunatly this only happens 50% of the time.:thinking:........:beer:

That's 100% more often than me!

Thanks for the replies guys. It was pretty obvious to me that 4L was to high torque, but i wasn't going very fast as I haven't done much snow driving so I wasn't really reving too high. Can't wait for it to snow again so I can beat the plow out there.