JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   True-Trac with 35's (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/true-trac-35s-141222/)

Fly-Attack 08-23-2010 03:49 PM

True-Trac with 35's

Anyone running Detroit True-Trac's with 35" or larger tires?

Eaton recommends 32" tires Maximum.

jeepoholic 08-23-2010 04:17 PM

I have Lock Right by Richmond in the rear with 5.13 gear and 35's. I really like the set up you just have to get past the clicking and clacking you hear when you turn.

Bacon 08-23-2010 04:24 PM

the True Trac is a limited slip is it not? the bigger/heavier the tire, the less effective limited slips are. the friction material is usually not up to the task of handling big heavy tires. i'd stick with a smaller tire or wait for a full-on locker., lunchbox or selectable

no, I have no personal experience, just second-hand knowledge, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt.

azxr 08-23-2010 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fly-Attack (Post 1817955)

I put one in my Titan's D44 several months back after my OEM E-locker grenaded. The Titan has 33s. I know there are a lot of Titan owners with them in and they are running 35s. I haven't heard of any issues.

Stoneaxe 08-23-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fly-Attack (Post 1817955)

Well... I just had the Truetrac put in my rear axle. 5:13's and GoodYear 315/70r17 (measuring 33.5 inches loaded). Only had it for a week. I'll be off next week at the beach and some trails to test it out. I'm confident it will work fine.

I don't believe the Truetrac uses friction components so I don't see where they would be adversely effected by tire weight/size.

:dontknow2:

river2c 08-23-2010 07:13 PM

The 32" tire limitation for the Detroit Truetrac is old product information. I have them in both axles with 35" tires and they work flawlessly. They are a very strong unit and you don't have to worry about tire size. I have put them to the test off road and I highly recommend them.

river2c 08-23-2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bacon (Post 1818001)
the True Trac is a limited slip is it not? the bigger/heavier the tire, the less effective limited slips are. the friction material is usually not up to the task of handling big heavy tires. i'd stick with a smaller tire or wait for a full-on locker., lunchbox or selectable

no, I have no personal experience, just second-hand knowledge, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt.

The Detroit Truetracs are worm gear driven and have no clutches to wear out. They are a very effective traction aiding device.

Dynatrac 08-24-2010 07:38 AM

As others have mentioned, Truetracs are a helical gear LSD. IMO, it is the ONLY LSD you'd want in a rig that sees off road time because it doesn't have clutches to wear out (clutches will wear quickly when you lift a tire and spin it) . I've sold many of these units over the years and customers have been very happy with them as long as they don't expect them to be a locker. The additional traction they provide over stock diffs is amazing.

The 32" tire warranty is old info. IIRC it is now 38".

Fly-Attack 08-24-2010 07:54 AM

Thanks for the info guys, i think i'll go this route.

Dynatrac 07-22-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jollydodger (Post 2419989)
Do YOU think they will work effectively with 38". I am sold on the idea of the Truetracs but wasn't sure if they would actually do there job with tires that big.

They'll work fine but which axle do you have? I hope you're not trying to make this work on a D30.