JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Best rivnut/nutsert tool for the money? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/best-rivnut-nutsert-tool-money-249040/)

JE8154 09-25-2012 02:00 PM

Best rivnut/nutsert tool for the money?

I bought some poison spyder body armor panels and can't decide which rivnut tool to buy. I've seen tools everywhere from $17 harbor freight stuff up to a $160 marson heavy duty tool. What exact tool did you use? How long did it last? How much was it? Would you buy it again? These are 1/4 20 nutserts.

YETI-09 09-25-2012 02:16 PM

Spend the money on the high end IF your going to be doing a lot of them. If its just one project ie skins and such just grab the green one from HF. Ad if it goes on you take it back and get a new one free! I've used I've same green HF tool to install 2 sets of EVO skins and rear corner skins and a few random nutserts here and there. Holds up well if you use it right.

Crazecodyk 09-25-2012 02:20 PM

I bout a westward from grainger. Bout a 100 bucks and holds up great. Was gonna get a marson but the westward is well worth it.

highoctane 09-25-2012 05:55 PM

The Marson tool is the one I have and is EXCELLENT! well worth the $150ish it costs. won't break like the Harbor Freight one I've used.

JE8154 09-25-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by highoctane
The Marson tool is the one I have and is EXCELLENT! well worth the $150ish it costs. won't break like the Harbor Freight one I've used.

So I'm buying the beer you bringing the tool to get these things installed? Might be a little bit of a ride from AZ but its for a good cause.

AU Bronc N JK 09-28-2012 05:12 AM

any body have the part numbers or a link t these tools? i just ordered Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers and need the tool to install them and my rear corner guards.. i don't mind spending the money for a quality tool that makes life easier.. just need to know where to get it and a part number!

thanks

Luke

highoctane 09-28-2012 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by AU Bronc N JK
any body have the part numbers or a link t these tools? i just ordered Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers and need the tool to install them and my rear corner guards.. i don't mind spending the money for a quality tool that makes life easier.. just need to know where to get it and a part number!

thanks

Luke

Marson 325-RN Heavy duty thread setting tool. I found one on amazon and is where I bought mine for $150.

GCM 2 09-28-2012 09:53 AM

And if you are serious.....

Here's what the Pro's use. Although probably a bit more than you want to spend, it will spoil you in its effortless installation of Hexnuts/Rivetnuts

h x x p://www.cardinalcomponents.com/PDF/C302%20Tool%20Manual.pdf

h x x p://www.cardinalcomponents.com/installtools.htm

jeepman007 10-13-2012 04:37 PM

The pros use Rivet nut tool - Enfasco.com, these nutsert tools, I think it pays to go for a higher quality tool, but thats just me.

dahreno 10-13-2012 04:52 PM

I didn't have many to install on my project , about 20 of them. When I saw what they were trying to sell me for my project to install the nutserts , I just made my own . I don't even know what a pro tool looks like for this , but I took the right sized bolt for the nutserts and a nut, removed the threads from the inside of the nut , took a dremel tool and cut a crosshatch pattern on the nut so the nutserts wouldn't spin , and used it. It worked perfect , except I did use a couple of nuts with the crosshatch cut into them to make sure I had a good grip on the nutserts. It was easier than I thought it would be !