JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Unlimited soft top (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/unlimited-soft-top-160052/)

brucy2k3 01-19-2011 07:09 PM

Unlimited soft top

So i want to buy a soft top for an unlimited and i have some concerns. I have a hard top and a bikini top right now but being in hawaii it is hard to tell when it is going to rain and for how long. How easy is it to put down and put up the soft top? Is this an easy process or should i just stick with having my 5' tall wife help me take the hard top on and off?

JK.nick 01-19-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by brucy2k3
So i want to buy a soft top for an unlimited and i have some concerns. I have a hard top and a bikini top right now but being in hawaii it is hard to tell when it is going to rain and for how long. How easy is it to put down and put up the soft top? Is this an easy process or should i just stick with having my 5' tall wife help me take the hard top on and off?

Putting the soft top on my 2 door is somewhat easy. It got a little tougher the more I lifted it, I'm only about 5'9. The 4 door top has more folds in it, and is probably heavier lol. My dad has both and he'd rather use the hardtop.

Maybe it's time for me to hit the gym again :dontknow2:

brucy2k3 01-20-2011 08:41 AM

I'm not too worried about the actual install of the soft top. I mainly want to know once it is installed how easy is it to put it up and down. My thing is that I dont want to have to sit there and mess with it for an hour to put it up and down. In Hawaii I need to be able to quickly put it up when it starts raining out of nowhere. It is rainy season right now so the bikini top doesn't work good enough right now and I found a soft top on craigslist for $100.

SBEII 01-20-2011 08:47 AM

I can put my up and install the windows in less than ten minutes. Its probably closer to five but I don't want to over exaggerate.

Super Stroked 01-20-2011 08:57 AM

It's not hard. My wife can do it by herself in about 15 mins (she wanted to try it). The two of us together can have it on in about 5 mins.

bearstylez 01-20-2011 09:00 AM

So easy!! My wife does her own in minutes flat!

dr.gonzo 01-20-2011 09:00 AM

Had the same concerns when I bought mine. The first couple times it was a real pain in the ass! Because of the bigger size of the unlimited softop, there is a lot of side-to-side flex in it. If you're putting the top up by yourself, I've found that if you get inside the Jeep and stand/kneel on the back seat and pull the top up and over from the middle you'll avoid having the top fall to one side or the other. Once you've got it up and over the top and laying on the cage, then it's easy to lock it in to place. After you do it a couple times, it gets pretty easy. If you have someone helping you, it's really quite simple. (even if she's 5' tall:D)

p.s. was in Maui for a couple weeks in December. We rented a 2dr JK with a softop. I can't imagine not having a softop in Hawaii!!

***if you're buying the top used, make sure that you get the "soft top bow brackets" from the seller if you don't already have them on your Jeep. They are the brackets that attach to the very back of the roll cage that the bow support bars from the softop attach to. I bought mine used also and the guy didn't send them with the top(he'd already sold the JK). Here's a link to the brackets if you have to buy them seperate:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...cket&submit=Go

RevyJKU08 01-20-2011 09:02 AM

Not hard at all. It is pretty simple to fold and unfold the top. The easy trick to pulling up the top to put on is to get on the back seat and grab the windshield bar on the softop and lift it up onto the roll bars and just set the tracks in place. You will figure out a procedure pretty quick after a few times.

roadking54 01-20-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by brucy2k3 (Post 2045389)
I'm not too worried about the actual install of the soft top. I mainly want to know once it is installed how easy is it to put it up and down. My thing is that I dont want to have to sit there and mess with it for an hour to put it up and down. In Hawaii I need to be able to quickly put it up when it starts raining out of nowhere. It is rainy season right now so the bikini top doesn't work good enough right now and I found a soft top on craigslist for $100.

Dude, $100, get it!!

I live in Seattle....so from Spring, summer, fall, it can change from sun to rain at any point during the day. There's definitely a learning curve to getting the top up/down quickly and correctly.....but I can do it by myself in less then 5 minutes.

For weeks of light rain off and on, I just leave the rear windows unzipped...makes dropping the top even faster and the back dries out quickly...especially in Hawaii!

You'll love it, and for $100, you can't lose.

mbfrosch 01-20-2011 09:47 AM

Go for it, once you get the hang of it, 5 min and your up or down.

The other great part is the sunrider position, if it looks like rain, leave the back windows in and just open the top, if it starts to rain, you can have it closed up in just a couple of minutes. and that price, do it.