JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Red lightning bolt dash light! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/red-lightning-bolt-dash-light-207331/)

Colegrove03 12-02-2011 07:54 AM

Red lightning bolt dash light!

I posted this in the electrical section also but figured I could post it here also because this problem occured while installing a PSC Hydrolic assist steering system. If this should not be in here then I will remove if i have to.

I have done a search on the red lightning bolt and seemed to find a lot of people are having this problem.

My PSC hydrolic assist steering was just completed late last night and when we went to start the engine to test the steering the jeep would not start. A red lighting bolt light came on the dash. The first thought was that maybe the battery was dead after sitting for two weeks while it was being worked on. Ususaly when the battery is dead you just get a click for the most part but this time the engine tried to start but did not. I replaced the battery with a yellow top deep cell Optima battery last month so I dont thing that battery is dead but will check today to make sure. The only thing we have changed since it ran last is the hydrolic steering. The only electrical thing we have done is removed the cold air intake and senser and reconnected it back together. Can anyone think of a reason why this would occur now? Did I do something to make this happen? my jeep is suppost to be in a 4wheelparts parade this weekend and needs to be ready by Saturday! I do not know what the code was that was set off but I will check tonight. To be honest I dont even know how to find the code that is kicked out?
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Josh

The_Yeti 12-02-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Colegrove03 (Post 2697896)
I posted this in the electrical section also but figured I could post it here also because this problem occured while installing a PSC Hydrolic assist steering system. If this should not be in here then I will remove if i have to.

I have done a search on the red lightning bolt and seemed to find a lot of people are having this problem.

My PSC hydrolic assist steering was just completed late last night and when we went to start the engine to test the steering the jeep would not start. A red lighting bolt light came on the dash. The first thought was that maybe the battery was dead after sitting for two weeks while it was being worked on. Ususaly when the battery is dead you just get a click for the most part but this time the engine tried to start but did not. I replaced the battery with a yellow top deep cell Optima battery last month so I dont thing that battery is dead but will check today to make sure. The only thing we have changed since it ran last is the hydrolic steering. The only electrical thing we have done is removed the cold air intake and senser and reconnected it back together. Can anyone think of a reason why this would occur now? Did I do something to make this happen? my jeep is suppost to be in a 4wheelparts parade this weekend and needs to be ready by Saturday! I do not know what the code was that was set off but I will check tonight. To be honest I dont even know how to find the code that is kicked out?
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Josh

If i recall the "red lightning bolt" is the electronic throttle control fly by wire. it could be the sensor or something its connected to.

19Delta 12-02-2011 01:06 PM

I don't have my manual with me, but it shows in there what it stands for.

SergeantChuck 12-02-2011 02:58 PM

I found this somewhere else. They also made the statement that a battery that is going bad or bad battery cables can cause this.

If a little red lightning bolt shows up-with little brackets on each side , icon #30 in the instrument cluster, Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) warning light.

The lightning bolt means that there's something wrong with the throttle control electronics. But only if it remains lit while driving. You're "supposed" to see your dealer about it because of reduced performance.