JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   How much does the Unlimited hard top weigh? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/how-much-does-unlimited-hard-top-weigh-5815/)

nextreme 04-03-2007 09:00 AM

How much does the Unlimited hard top weigh?

Yes, I did search this and another forum and have not found an answer. Does anyone know how much the Unlimited hard top weighs? I bought some of those ladder hooks to hang it on the wall and they are rated at 50 lbs each and I want to make sure they can hold it. They were the heaviest duty I could find.

Thanks

AZCA jeeper 04-03-2007 09:33 AM

Well, that other jeep forum said that a TJ hardtop weighs around 150lbs, so that's about the same size as the back portion of the freedom top on an unlimited. Then, I'm guessing the two front pannles weigh about 20lbs each. All together, It's probably close to 200lbs, give or take 10.:thinking:

HG07JKRubi 04-03-2007 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by nextreme (Post 57636)
Yes, I did search this and another forum and have not found an answer. Does anyone know how much the Unlimited hard top weighs? I bought some of those ladder hooks to hang it on the wall and they are rated at 50 lbs each and I want to make sure they can hold it. They were the heaviest duty I could find.

Thanks

I did this search before I built my freedom top hoist and I remember finding that the top weights 95lbs. (without the 2 front panels)

AZCA jeeper 04-03-2007 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by HG97TJ (Post 57680)
I did this search before I built my freedom top hoist and I remember finding that the top weights 95lbs. (without the 2 front panels)

Oooops....:embarrased: Guess I'm a terrible guestimator.:D

nextreme 04-03-2007 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by HG97TJ (Post 57680)

Well that sounds about right. I am going to place my freedom top panels somewhere else so I don't have to worry about their weight.

Thanks guys ;)

wvmtnbiker 04-03-2007 12:08 PM

Could you please explain how you intend to use the ladder hooks. So far on this forum I have seen storage carts and various ceiling storage support systems but not a wall mount. I was considering devising some sort of wall mount system because there are lights in the way on the ceiling.

nextreme 04-03-2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by wvmtnbiker (Post 57772)
Could you please explain how you intend to use the ladder hooks. So far on this forum I have seen storage carts and various ceiling storage support systems but not a wall mount. I was considering devising some sort of wall mount system because there are lights in the way on the ceiling.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/cheap-easy-hardtop-hanger-storage-solution-5645/

RedRockJK 04-03-2007 08:35 PM

I know it's nowhere close to 200 lb. If I was estimating, I'd say it weighs about 80-90 lb. I lifted it by myself into position (see thread above), and had my daughter put the 2x4's on the hooks, then I lowered it down. It's not really that heavy, it's just bulky.

huntjeeper 04-04-2007 10:51 AM

Thanks, for posting your idea. I've been trying to figure out how to store my hardtop for the summer without taking up too much room. I've got little one running around so it needs to be secure and out of the way. I'm not too keen on keeping it suspended all summer, this is a great (and cheaper) alternatice. THANKS!

AZCA jeeper 04-04-2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by RedRockJK (Post 58083)
I know it's nowhere close to 200 lb. If I was estimating, I'd say it weighs about 80-90 lb. I lifted it by myself into position (see thread above), and had my daughter put the 2x4's on the hooks, then I lowered it down. It's not really that heavy, it's just bulky.

I only estimated that becasue I've never had a hardtop, and on the other forum he's talking about, some guy said his TJ's hardtop was 140lbs. I just figured since there is more hardtop on an unlimited JK than a TJ, it would weigh more.:embarrased: :D :rollingeyes:

Huh, huh..........my bad.:rotflmao1: