JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   My tires are wearing on the outside!!! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/my-tires-wearing-outside-128603/)

derekjm14 05-03-2010 09:21 AM

My tires are wearing on the outside!!!

So... my tires are wearing more on the outside. I read over the basic do it yourself alignment write up and if I understand it correctly I need to get a set of adjustable control arms to fix this. Does anyone know if I will need to get both the upper and lower arms or can I get away with one or the other?

IcyFridge 05-03-2010 09:24 AM

Are they wearing on the outside of both sides of the tires? If that is true, then you might be underinflated.

If they are wearing only on one side on both sides of the Jeep, then you might need to take a look at your camber. The control arms are used for caster, which would not correct your problem.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

UGOTKERN 05-03-2010 09:32 AM

Bent Tie Rod will also cause tire wear on the outside edges.....

derekjm14 05-03-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by IcyFridge (Post 1678017)
Are they wearing on the outside of both sides of the tires? If that is true, then you might be underinflated.

If they are wearing only on one side on both sides of the Jeep, then you might need to take a look at your camber. The control arms are used for caster, which would not correct your problem.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, they are wearing on just the outside of each front tire. So... back to my question; Do I need both the upper and lower control arms or can I fix this with just the lower arms.

derekjm14 05-03-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN (Post 1678027)
Bent Tie Rod will also cause tire wear on the outside edges.....

Do you have any idea how I can tell if it is bent? I checked it out really quick and it doesn't look bent but I suppose it could be a slight bend.

UGOTKERN 05-03-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by derekjm14 (Post 1678049)
Do you have any idea how I can tell if it is bent? I checked it out really quick and it doesn't look bent but I suppose it could be a slight bend.

One way to know for sure is to check your toe-in..... Several write ups on this forum including WOL's

This wont necessarily tell if you if yours is bent but it will inform if you need to adjust your tie rod or replace.

pastorsteve 05-03-2010 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by derekjm14 (Post 1678046)
Yeah, they are wearing on just the outside of each front tire. So... back to my question; Do I need both the upper and lower control arms or can I fix this with just the lower arms.

No one can answer that without KNOWING what the problem is. Take it to a good tire shop and have them do a proper front end alignment. The cost of an alignment and evaluation is way cheaper than a new set of tires because the old set wore out. I have mine aligned and checked every spring. I guess it's time. :yup:

spinlock 05-03-2010 11:09 PM

Control arms are not going to fix your problem. Camber is not adjustable on the JK.

If your tie rod is bent you could have too much toe in which would cause the outer edges to wear faster. Measure your toe in.