JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Hunting & Firearms (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/hunting-firearms-101/)
-   -   First hunt ever. Hog with 300 blackout and night vision. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/hunting-firearms-101/first-hunt-ever-hog-300-blackout-night-vision-245501/)

cosmokramer 08-25-2012 09:07 AM

First hunt ever. Hog with 300 blackout and night vision.

1 Attachment(s)
Hunted on a guy's 1000 acre lot. Fair price just northeast of Houston. Nice set up for a guaranteed hog. Has rams and other game too.

This was my first hunt ever. Went and bonded with the brother in law. I brought my new 300 blackout (unsuppressed, still waiting for nfa trust), 125 grain Remington accutip. Shot with pulsar n550 night vision scope/camera at about 60 yards. Bullent went through both lungs but missed the heart so I put a hollow point in her head.

Amazing experience. Nice to have the jeep out there, great company, and good people. Harvested some good meat, now on ice water bath with some vinegar and lemon juice for the day before the BBQ tomorrow.

Thought I'd share. Next time I'll see if I can hook up the video out on the scope to record.

danmojo82 08-25-2012 09:25 AM

I do miss hog hunting in GA and AL. I was never all buck rogers though haha. It's a lot of fun, especially when you come across a big group, thank god for semi-automatic :cool:

Imrahil 08-25-2012 09:53 AM

Where were you hunting at?

MrMadMunky 08-25-2012 10:10 AM

Looks like you had a blast.

cosmokramer 08-25-2012 10:17 AM

Hog wild adventures

I went to Hog Wild Adventures in Kingwood. His webpage (first one that comes up in google under hog wild adventures) is pretty minimal compared to some others, but the place is awesome. Definitely had large boars and huge sows, but I went for a medium sized one for some good eatin meat and didn't want to waste it either. Plus it was my first hunt, so I just concentrated on getting as clean of a shot as possible so when this one turned broad side I took my time and took the shot.

Even during the day you can see hundreds of hogs there, but for me, it was going to be too hot, and we wanted to try night hunting. They are there and plentiful. Great place to start out.

matprovo 08-25-2012 10:41 AM

Sounds awesome. Did you use dogs or were you in a stand?

IndyChavez 08-25-2012 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice. I got these last week! put a couple bottles of vinegar and one blended pineapple per pig.. Good food.

Valkyrie1911 08-29-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by cosmokramer (Post 3179230)
Hunted on a guy's 1000 acre lot. Fair price just northeast of Houston. Nice set up for a guaranteed hog. Has rams and other game too.

This was my first hunt ever. Went and bonded with the brother in law. I brought my new 300 blackout (unsuppressed, still waiting for nfa trust), 125 grain Remington accutip. Shot with pulsar n550 night vision scope/camera at about 60 yards. Bullent went through both lungs but missed the heart so I put a hollow point in her head.

Amazing experience. Nice to have the jeep out there, great company, and good people. Harvested some good meat, now on ice water bath with some vinegar and lemon juice for the day before the BBQ tomorrow.

Thought I'd share. Next time I'll see if I can hook up the video out on the scope to record.

Nice rifle you have on your scope there :cool: I kid, just jealous because I don't have night vision :wah: Nice looking hog too, bet it was good.

ETA: I've got 200 rounds of subsonic 230g sitting in the stockpile but no .300 upper to shoot them from :dontknow2:

cosmokramer 09-01-2012 05:03 AM

Mat, no blind. The guy kinda sets you up in an area where there are going to be hog activity, and we scouted out a bit then set up.
Indy, nice hogs! Now that we have some experience, I hope to match yours. Great pic.
Valkyrie, yeah it's huge for sure. But it's a semi affordable option for night vision. I love it. If you end up getting 300 blackout, you'll like the community. So far a lot of enthusiasm about it, and it's fun. It's supposed to shine when it gets suppressed, and I hope for me that will be soon.

powrsurg 09-27-2012 08:15 PM

Its great to see the 300AAC at work. Not surprised it went completely through. What did the other side look like? Big exit wound? What did you use for your final kill shot?