JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Gear Shift Vibration In 3rd and 4th Gear (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/gear-shift-vibration-3rd-4th-gear-159037/)

BearInTheWoods 01-13-2011 05:12 AM

Gear Shift Vibration In 3rd and 4th Gear

I have searched around and have not found anyone else who may have this issue. I have a 2011 4 door 6 speed with 800 miles on it and I am getting a slight vibration in the shifter in mostly 3rd gear and some in 4th gear. The vibration starts at around 2000 rpm's and I notice it all the way to around 2500 rpm's which is where I usually shift. The noise is a low vibration / grinding noise and the gear shift vibrates when this happens but it's not a lot of viabration, I can see the gear shifter wiggling though. It's noticable to me because I know it's there but my Wife only hears it when the radio is turned off. It does it in no other gear but 3rd and 4th and I was wondering if it only does this in those gears since they are directly up and down from the center point of neutral. I guess what I mean is if you go to neutral and let the shifter go, 3rd gear is directly up and 4th is down. I plan to take it to the dealer but just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this before I go. Thanks

malloc 01-13-2011 06:01 AM

I have the same thing, fast rattle on the knob when in 3rd gear only. I remember reading some other posts that said it was the see-through plastic cover on the shift knob, I forget what the solution was though. Doesn't really bother me, but I think banging on/removing and re-installing the knob was supposed to fix it.

good luck,
malloc

BearInTheWoods 01-13-2011 01:50 PM

What I am experiencing is not the shift knob, this is coming from down in the transmission itself. This is like a low pitch vibrating or humming noise coming from the tranny.

jenly8 01-13-2011 02:07 PM

Are you sure this is not a driveline issue?

BearInTheWoods 01-13-2011 02:50 PM

At this point, I'm not sure of anything. I am as new to Jeep's as this Jeep is as new to me. I guess anything is possible but I just think its starnge that I only get it in 3rd gear and slightly in 4th. All of the other gears are fine.

Originally Posted by jenly8 (Post 2032667)
Are you sure this is not a driveline issue?

v8zracer260z 06-02-2011 01:16 PM

I have the same issue with mine after only 200 miles. I took it to the dealer and the tech said its working fine. Took another manual Jeep for a drive and it does not do it so it is not normal. It has been getting worse so I plan on taking it back in soon and having the manger involved or the regional Jeep rep till I get some action. Too new of a jeep to have tranny problems.

NH-JK 06-04-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by v8zracer260z
I have the same issue with mine after only 200 miles. I took it to the dealer and the tech said its working fine. Took another manual Jeep for a drive and it does not do it so it is not normal. It has been getting worse so I plan on taking it back in soon and having the manger involved or the regional Jeep rep till I get some action. Too new of a jeep to have tranny problems.

Try another dealer... Most service mangers won't admit they missed it or that's there is even a problem. They're service managers not mechanics they don't know much about vehicles other than what they're told....

poxika 06-13-2011 05:38 PM

I think I have the same problem. The noise is kind of low pitch, and modulates when you hold and move the stick a bit. To me, it sounds like grinding coffee with these old style manual coffee grinders... I have around 3000 miles and the noise seems to have diminished a bit from the first couple of months. Did not raised the issue with the dealer yet as I cannot say if this is normal. I have other noises that I have to take care of first (squeaky shocks in the back, and vibration on the passenger b pillar)

Let us now about any progress on your side.

untold 06-13-2011 06:07 PM

i have the same thing in 3rd gear, too.

SDJK 06-14-2011 06:44 AM

Rattle

Originally Posted by BearInTheWoods (Post 2031746)
I have searched around and have not found anyone else who may have this issue. I have a 2011 4 door 6 speed with 800 miles on it and I am getting a slight vibration in the shifter in mostly 3rd gear and some in 4th gear. The vibration starts at around 2000 rpm's and I notice it all the way to around 2500 rpm's which is where I usually shift. The noise is a low vibration / grinding noise and the gear shift vibrates when this happens but it's not a lot of viabration, I can see the gear shifter wiggling though. It's noticable to me because I know it's there but my Wife only hears it when the radio is turned off. It does it in no other gear but 3rd and 4th and I was wondering if it only does this in those gears since they are directly up and down from the center point of neutral. I guess what I mean is if you go to neutral and let the shifter go, 3rd gear is directly up and 4th is down. I plan to take it to the dealer but just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this before I go. Thanks

Make sure your clutch master cylinder line is not toucing the firewall where it goes down.