JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/possible-problems-some-3-6-pentastar-engines-227770/)

carolinajk 04-15-2012 12:56 PM

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

hi all . just info for those that have the new engine , just had a conversation with a good friend of my son . this guy is a certified mopar tech for the last several years and naturally a huge mopar fan . any way he related to me about some of his factory training he had and said that there have been cases showing up of these engines dropping valves on the left bank for an as yet to be determined reason . he said thus far it is gc and wranglers this has been proceeded by wisps of smoke from the tailpipe . not huge numbers of these engines but enough he said that it is being looked into as possible parts / materials or assembly defects

webejeepin 04-15-2012 01:10 PM

Here we go.

Say it's not so, please.

War Machine 04-15-2012 01:15 PM

This needs to be a delayed April fools joke. At least thats what I'm Gonna tell myself.

carolinajk 04-15-2012 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by webejeepin (Post 2962531)
Here we go.

Say it's not so, please.

didnt post to cause paranoia jus be aware . he said he has saw 2 complaints of the smoking recently and the customers are told that its ok to drive

webejeepin 04-15-2012 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by carolinajk (Post 2962547)
didnt post to cause paranoia jus be aware . he said he has saw 2 complaints of the smoking recently and the customers are told that its ok to drive

No worries :) That's what this forum is for...help your fellow Jeeper with info. If it wasn't for JK Forum I would have never known about the 3.8L oil drinking problems, or how to fix the steering clunk, or how to do my own rear brakes....and the list goes on....:thumbsup:

carolinajk 04-15-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by webejeepin (Post 2962552)
No worries :) That's what this forum is for...help your fellow Jeeper with info. If it wasn't for JK Forum I would have never known about the 3.8L oil drinking problems, or how to fix the steering clunk, or how to do my own rear brakes....and the list goes on....:thumbsup:

exactly also now no dealer can bs anyone and tell them they werent aware of any problems

webejeepin 04-15-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by carolinajk (Post 2962556)
exactly also now no dealer can bs anyone and tell them they werent aware of any problems

You got it!!

I printed out the details of how to fix the steering clunk (from this forum), gave it to my dealer, and had them cover it under warranty...no issues.

We have strength in numbers!

Mopar2Ya 04-15-2012 02:09 PM

Yes, there has been a ticking problem on some 3.6L's, some caused by a valve lash problem. There is a thread elsewhere. Chrysler has been replacing the whole head, & it maybe contained to early 2012's.

Pete1971 04-15-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya (Post 2962615)
Yes, there has been a ticking problem on some 3.6L's, some caused by a valve lash problem. There is a thread elsewhere. Chrysler has been replacing the whole head, & it maybe contained to early 2012's.

I heard this also it's not all just some ( earlyer ones I'd assume) I have a warrenty, I'm NOT worried about it

hombredelassrtas 04-17-2012 09:09 AM

I do not believe I have much valve tap (compared to my 2004 vvtl-i) but i did have a wisp of smoke come out the exhaust a couple months back. Possibly the valve stuck? I have not had the problems since then.