JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Headlight Adjustment after a lift? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/headlight-adjustment-after-lift-102301/)

drgreybow 09-21-2009 04:01 PM

Headlight Adjustment after a lift?

I recently did a lift and need to point my headlights down a bit. I've searched for instructions on how to do so, but haven't seen any posts (or write-ups) that give a clear description of how to do it.

Can somebody help me out here? Pics would be great!

wayoflife 09-21-2009 04:45 PM

you need a torx t-15 driver. you need to make sure it's a stand alone tool and not some kind of universal driver that you can attach bits to. those will be to wide in diameter and will not work. once you have that, here's what you do:

1. park 25 feet away from your garage door or wall
2. place a piece of blue masking tape 3' up
3. turn on your headlights
4. insert your torx t-15 bit into the outside adjusting screw. on the passenger side, this will be located at about the 10 o'clock position and on the driver side, 2 o'clock position. you will also notice that the grille is dimpled a bit to allow easier access there.
5. rotate the torx t-15 driver counter clockwise until you get your lights in the desired position. for a 3"-4" lift, this is typcially about 3 full rotation.

and, that's pretty much it :yup:

drgreybow 09-21-2009 06:22 PM

Thanks wayoflife. Now I see what everyone was talking about. I was looking under the hood instead of the front part of the lights themselves. Only problem now is that I don't have a set of torx tools that will fit. I'll have to make a trip to home depot tomorrow I guess.

Atl JK 09-21-2009 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by drgreybow (Post 1346487)
Thanks wayoflife. Now I see what everyone was talking about. I was looking under the hood instead of the front part of the lights themselves. Only problem now is that I don't have a set of torx tools that will fit. I'll have to make a trip to home depot tomorrow I guess.

Like mentioned previously, make sure you get a set of torx drivers. The opening it very small and in my experiences only the drivers fit.

So_Cal_Tay_12 09-21-2009 08:52 PM

haha, too easy, looks like i need to do this:rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

wayoflife 09-21-2009 09:19 PM

if it helps, i went ahead and did a full write-up with pics and it can be seen here:

Jeep JK Wrangler Headlight Adjustment Write-Up

:D

[N]UGE 09-22-2009 06:55 AM

very simple. thanks.

whpony96 09-22-2009 07:01 AM

You dont need to buy the special tools! Just remove the plastic grill do your adjustments then re-install the grill!

wayoflife 09-22-2009 07:11 AM

nah, the driver is only a couple of bucks and with it, you can make your adjustment in about a minute. assuming that all the plastic screws come out without any problems, removing the grill can still be a pain especially if you have a winch like a warn powerplant - trust me, i speak from experience.

gpb 09-23-2009 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by whpony96 (Post 1347239)
You dont need to buy the special tools! Just remove the plastic grill do your adjustments then re-install the grill!

Huh? What guy doesn't want an excuse to go buy a new tool!?! :thinking::thinking: